ZLA ATC Confusion

Was flying from KNUC to KPSP last night. All was going well, ATC at KNUC was great and nobody was flying recklessly.

Things changed once I gave LA Center a call for flight following to KPSP. Although I was intending on being realistic will my call and staying at 17,500, CTR cleared me up to FL 230 which I accepted. Then one minute later CTR told me to descend and maintain 5000(?). Is there any reason why CTR would have me: 1) descend out of his airspace 2) tell me to descend to 5000 when I’m over 100NM out from KPSP 3) If I descended to 5000 and he kept me there I’d eventually crash into a mountain with my filed route. I simply ignored that instruction.

After not hearing from him in a couple minutes I called in to see if his instruction might have been a mistake. He then tells me to maintain 200KTS or greater. At this point, I thought this controller might’ve been joking. I was already cruising at FL 230 and holding a steady 320 KTS IAS. Why would he give me this unnecessary speed restriction when there’s nobody within 35NM of me and nobody near as high of me? Look at the map below, there’s literally a huge empty chunk of airspace around me. Closest aircraft to me would be miles off my right at 17,000 feet below me! I said unable to hopefully put common sense into this controller, then he asked me for my intentions. I thought I told him three times already that I wanted flight following to KPSP, I guess he didn’t understand me. Then he told me to follow instructions. And that was the last time I ever talked to this guy staffing CTR.

If someone could answer my questions about the speed restrictions and descent instructions rhat would be great.

3 Likes

Expert or TS1?

2 Likes

Training Server

1 Like

If @Ninetales is correct, what do you expect? The answer will remain the same every time someone complains about a TS1 controller, go to expert for a more realistic experience! This is a constant occurrence with ATC in TS1 and there’s nothing that can be done, they are training for ATC…
hope this helps :)

1 Like

TS1. I know I shouldn’t expect much from controllers here, but why would he tell me to climb to FL 230 then 1 minute later have me descend to 5000? I don’t understand.

Same goes for speed restrictions.

2 Likes

Its just a common occurrence in TS1, absolute chaos.

2 Likes

It doesn’t make sense. Never have never will.

3 Likes

sadly there is no consistency to ATC standard on TS, you get some great guys who are very professional and others who leave a lot to be desired…

Ideally, even on the TS there should be some form of grading to be able to operate at the different levels:

EG you have to be able to do 100 operations on a C class Airport in order to be able to access ATC on B class Airport. You have to do 100 operations as B Tower in order to access Approach frequencies. You then have to access 100 operations as Approach in order to gain access to Centre frequencies. Whilst like in the same way you can guarantee that a Grade 5 is any better then a Grade 3 , by having a graded approach would mean at least they have more experience the ‘higher’ up they get to control.

2 Likes

He was just trying to get you low enough to take the secret tunnel through the mountains on the way to KPSP.

But, yeah, TS1…

4 Likes

Unfortunately there’s no accountability on TS1. “Controllers” can freely troll that server if they so desire. I stayed away from Socal on TS.

1 Like

That’s just TS1 for you. However, I have flown with @cleipelt controlling the tower at KPSP and even though it was TS1… amazing job.

3 Likes

Thank you David! I will be on again tonight at KPSP if you’re interested in flying in :)

1 Like

What time will you be there?

30 minutes and I’ll staff up KPSP TWR/GND assuming nobody will have it. If someone already has it, I’ll just wait until TWR frees up.

Everyone else is welcome to join on TS1 server at KPSP whenever I get on as well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.