ZCreaser’s ATC Tracking Thread - [OPEN] @ EGGP

Welcome to ZCreaser’s Thread!

I’m practicing to join IFATC!

*This is my first ATC tracking thread!

Please only use “Remaining in the Pattern” if you are planning on doing touch&goes/patterns! Otherwise, please use the “departing north, south, east, west" or "straight out” command.

Criticism Good or Bad are accepted!

OPEN

Airport :

EGCC

Server :
Training

Runways
23R

4 Likes

Hey! I’ll stop by, I’d love to help you out.

Thank you!!

Hello! I’m currently in school. @ me next time your open, and I’ll stop by!

Sure thing

Hey @ZCreaser, thanks for the service! I was S-HANE, and here’s my feedback! :

• [17:27:04] : Good job catching the give way with me and OLI16 Super, could’ve been faster or caught earlier though because we were both left sitting there for a while until the give way was given.

• [17:28:38] : I was given left traffic for runway 23R, when the runways are parallel, it’s best that you make pilots fly in the direction of the runway. So if the runway is 23 right, then you should have them fly right traffic, and the same for 23L, it’s 23 left, so aircraft on 23 left would get left trafic.

• [17:34:25] : Nice job handling my pattern entry, that was good and correct!

• [17:39:54] : Corporate 14’s pattern entry wasn’t fit for the situation, he spawned in at EGGP, which is already on the right downwind for 23R, but you instead gave him left downwind for 23R.

• I was on the runway for about a solid minute and received no runway exit or back taxi instruction. If you go into your menu, you will see exit runway, and in there you can give a left, right, or any instruction, and that will permit the aircraft to either exit the runway, left, right, or either way if applicable, these should be sent at around 50-70 ground speed.

• I noticed almost all aircraft were receiving “fly runway heading” takeoff clearances if they weren’t remaining in the pattern, there is no need for this, it’s really only for straight out departures which wouldn’t be needed for the situation.

These are some of the things I noticed throughout the session, overall, very promising work. A few mistakes here and there, but it seems you’re starting to get a feel for how it works. Feel free to shoot me a message if you are struggling or need help understanding something, thanks for having me!

Hi Shane thank you for the feedback. This was my very first time on ATC fully. I really enjoyed it. Cheers for joining

1 Like

Hi,

G-PMKY here. If you haven’t already, I strongly advise you watch or revise The Perfect ATC Test which is a pattern scenario very similar to what you had at EGCC.

You’re responsive to traffic and have good situational awareness of what’s going on, which is an excellent foundation.

However, I would not advise having traffic from two runways in the same direction pattern if you can possibly help it (except during runway changes). It’s too easy for you to lose track of who’s going where, and for pilots to get confused about who they’re supposed to follow.

Don’t confuse sequencing with pattern instructions. On both my circuits you had me and others extend downwind to get a pattern from us, and then called our bases manually (in particular that gave me a very long downwind and I had to climb over terrain, which is Very Bad™). Instead, don’t use pattern entries for established patterns, but rather give sequence numbers for the aircraft in the order you want them, then trust the pilots to maintain spacing.

Your commands should be:

• Pattern entry for inbound or runway changes, or a direction on first take-off
  • Sequence number early on, so they know who to follow
  • Clearance in order once you’re sure that order won’t change

Once an aircraft is established in a pattern they will keep flying it until further notice, so don’t be tempted to over-control! Inbounds should be given a pattern and runway which is appropriate to their position, e.g. don’t give right downwind 23R to a pilot travelling West-East and positioned to your South (at least, not without a good reason).

Concentrate on getting this basic pattern management like second nature, and you will find it lays the foundations for a lot of other controlling techniques.

Are you open or did you forget to update you page to say closed?