You're talking to approach... Now what?

I second this :)

3 Likes

I’ve been flying IF for a while now and I still learned something new thanks to this. Great job and thank you for taking the time to provide it to us.

2 Likes

You should make a ‘Now what?’ series. I know you already have one about ground frequency, they’re both really helpful :)

2 Likes

Next one: You’ve departed and have switched frequencies… Now what? Seriously, this would be great.

7 Likes

@Chris_S. MaxAsked:

On Flight Following: Is it only permitted for GA’s in congested airspace & offered as a not to interfere Service, ATC work load permitting?
is the Freq switch on launch to Approach really proper procedure? Or is a modification of AIM procedures because. IFATC chooses not to staff Departure routinely?
What is the proper Request to bypass Approach and contact Tower directly for an aircraft on a non-ILS visual approach to a modified Pattern short Final?
(Think about this one it’s an ATIS setup & gottya)

3 Likes

Flight following will usually be allowed during departure, but you will often be vectored upon arrival into your destination, especially if you are flying into a busy airport at peak traffic times. Besides, as I’m sure you know, you should only request flight following in a GA VFR aircraft.

Yes, we do this often, usually when approach has a light workload and can handle two stations at a time. A separate departure frequency is usually only used during peak traffic hours. Besides, this happens all the time at smaller fields IRL. The approach controller regularly will also work departure.

You can ask approach for radar vectors to the field, and we will vector you to downwind or base. However, bypassing approach is never a good idea, especially during peak traffic hours. You run the risk of being ghosted if you continually avoid it after several guards. Tower usually doesn’t like to accept visuals that are not sequenced into the line by approach during heavy traffic, but there are exceptions.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

@Nicholas_L… MaxSez: Noted. Obviously IF rules apply. Interesting interpretations of the AIM. Make it work, sound good to me. Really like the “GHOST” warning that Sez it all. Gooday.

4 Likes

Nice tutorial.

1 Like

Great stuff, Chris! This is very informative.

1 Like

Chris this is really good. We should make this a required reading.

2 Likes

I agree with everything but this. I will offend put people on a straight in approach for radar vectors. Which isn’t wrong.

3 Likes

I’ll just add to the approach as departure question…this is definitely more of an IF controller interface issue. It doesn’t make sense to have multiple tabs (frequencies) up on the screen when you can give the exact same vector as an approach controller.

3 Likes

They should be transferred to tower before you give a straight in. RV points you towards the airport. But you’re also clearing a RV, which is the point I think Chris is trying to make.

2 Likes

It appears my counter parts don’t feel the same as I 😔 Go VFR change your flight plan. This should be followed with a frequency change. Why not allow a Cessna to enter the pattern rather then vector them into heavy traffic. It’s a lot easier to squeeze a GA into a short tower pattern then a big radar pattern. If they go VFR clear them into the airspace.

2 Likes

If they are 10 or more miles out why would I switch them to tower on base? Your not going to see or know where the airport is from that distance. So a straight in vector is appropriate to point them toward the airfield before handoff.

2 Likes

Oh ok. I get you. I’ll use my Maintain current heading, clear for the radar vector approach, RWY 27 command from now on.

2 Likes

If they’re already on base, why wouldn’t you transfer them when in sight? Why give them the final vectors to line up perfectly?

1 Like

Well when the pilot can report they have the airport in sight I may change my thinking.

2 Likes

It works the same way when transfered from Tower to Departure/Approach and Departure/Approach to Center, right?
When Tower hand me off I should immediately ask for Radar Vector (or just check in if I want to follow my flight plan) and request climb to XX altitude?

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting this command option ever since I started flying on IF! I can’t believe it’s not already in there…

2 Likes