Your Guide to Fuel Burn and Cruising Altitudes in the New 777 Family

YSSY - KORF (routed over EGLL) in the 772. 27:41, didn’t quite get to the calculated value, I think that’s because I didn’t factor in how much fuel a very heavy 772 would burn climbing (88% vs. mid 60s and 70s on the other versions).

1 Like

CYYZ - WBGG (routed over NZAA) in the 77W. 26:12, didn’t quite get to the calculated value but pretty close.

1 Like

Great work, Andrew. I’ll definitely be using this on my flights. Thanks!

1 Like

WOW what a tutorial! I am going to need to read over this when it is not 10:21 pm and my brain can process this. Nice job!

1 Like

People really seemed to like this, so I’ll continue doing them. Next will be the four next-generation airliners. After that, I’ll leave it to community choice:

Fuel Tutorial?
  • 747 Family
  • A320 Family
  • 737 Family
  • A380

0 voters

1 Like

747 Family will be next. Might leave out the VC-25, SCA, and SOFIA seeing as no one really flies them.

I’d assume that this was a relatively empty flight. Pre-COVID, it was rare to see a 77W exceed FL370/380.

@AndrewWu good job with the tutorial, keep em coming.

1 Like

Okay the fact that the numbers you calculated were that close to the actual times you got is pretty darn incredible. This may be worth referring to after all ;)

1 Like

For 777-300ER, never cruise above FL370. I have done hundreds of flights in that thing, it doesn’t behave like what it does in real life. If you go above that, you get extra fuel burn.

1 Like

Correct. Well since the speed ranges from 0.82 to 0.89, they also fly at speeds faster than 0.84
For airlines , the arrival time matters a lot so the speed also depends upon winds and ground delay. If you encounter very strong tailwinds, you may cruise a bit faster maybe at 0.85 or 0.86 and a bit slower in case of tailwinds however in IF these things don’t matter a lot but it’ll be better for those who want to maintain their so called professionalism

1 Like

That’s somewhat correct. Many airlines cruise at higher altitudes too. Air India operates them at FL390 too and I think I saw a BA 77W at FL410 but I think I deleted the screenshot. I’ll see if I have it

1 Like

Still a very good tutorial though

1 Like

Yeah, that’s IRL, I’m talking about pure IF. This tutorial is in no way a reference to IRL 77Ws because as hard as IF tries they’re obviously going to have some differences.

1 Like

A359 is possible

1 Like

A350’s fuel profile in IF is really funny actually, I have the numbers that will be in a future tutorial but the gist is that it never changes that much across flight levels.

2 Likes

That cool thanks for this

1 Like

I have the wind-altitude trade for real 777, but this tutorial is for IF.
777 has a old flight model, so it doesn’t behave like real world.

2 Likes

There is a update coming remember

A359 is totally broken actually… I tested at M.85 when it came out, and it never helps to go above FL340. IRL A359 are rarely not above FL340.

I don’t think it has been changed actuallly