Your Guide to Duluth International Airport

Duluth International Airport (KDLH) is the airport serving the city of Duluth, Minnesota, on Lake Superior’s shores. Duluth is a hub for shipping, the largest inland port in the country, mainly fueled by the region’s Taconite (a key ingredient in steel) mines, as well as supple deposits of iron, giving this part of the state the nickname of the “Iron Range.” KDLH is Minnesota’s 3rd busiest airport, after Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport and Rochester International Airport. In 2022, 250,000 passengers traveled through KDLH.

Airlines and Destinations

Duluth International Airport is served by 4 passenger and cargo airlines

Delta Air Lines: Minneapolis/Saint Paul (A319)
Delta Connection: Minneapolis/Saint Paul (CRJ-200, CRJ-700, E175)
United Express: Chicago/O’Hare* (CRJ-700, E175)
Sun Country Airlines: Phoenix/Sky Harbor, Fort Myers (737-800)
FedEx Feeder: Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Indianapolis (ATR 42-300F)

*United Express is “seriously considering” the possibility of another destination from Duluth, which would likely be Denver, though could be Newark or even Houston.

Runways

9/27: 10,591 feet (3,228 meters)
3/21: 5,719 feet (1743 meters)
The airport is an operational customs facility, and can support 747s, as it has multiple times in the past.

Air Traffic Control Frequencies

In real life, KDLH is towered 24/7

IMG_0478

Duluth ATIS: 124.1
Duluth Ground: 121.9
Duluth Tower: 118.3

Procedures

RNAV (GPS) RWY 21
RNAV (GPS) RWY 27
RNAV (GPS) RWY 03
RNAV (GPS) RWY 09
VOR/DME/TACAN RWY 03
HI- TACAN Z RWY 09
TACAN Y RWY 09
ILS/LOC RWY 09
ILS/LOC RWY 27
ILS RWY 09 (SA CAT 1)
ILS RWY 09 (CAT II)

Airport Diagrams & Extras

LAHSO
RADAR MINIMUMS
TAKEOFF MINIMUMS
ALTERNATE MINIMUMS
Airport Diagram

Alternate Aerodromes:
GA: Richard I Bong (KSUW), Cloquet/Carlton County (KCOQ)
Commercial*: Range Regional Airport (KHIB), Eau Claire (KEAU)

*These airports can accommodate anything up to a 767-300ER. Anything larger should be differed to KMSP, which can manage all other aircraft

Parking

Red: Comercial Gates
Yellow: Superior Helicopters/Vintage Aviation Co. parking
Blue: Cirrus Aviation stands
White: Minnesota Air National Guard
Light Blue: General Aviation Stands

Minnesota Air National Guard

The 148th Fighter Wing is a unit of the Minnesota Air National Guard, and its mission primarily involves providing combat airpower and support to both state and federal missions. Based in Duluth, Minnesota, the 148th Fighter Wing is equipped with F-16C/D Fighting Falcon aircraft, as well as C130s. The unit has a rich history and has been involved in various deployments and operations, including deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

The 148th Fighter Wing plays a critical role in air defense, homeland security, and providing close air support. More recently, they have been dispatched to provide humanitarian support in Israel.

Come on up and visit the city by the lake!

12 Likes

Very nice. I love it, Nice effort and a way to put a bunch of time in. Is it legal to listen to ATC frequencies? Me and my dad has a hunting radio and trying to figure it out

1 Like

Thanks! Yes, it’s totally legal to listen. Just don’t interfere with the frequency, obviously, unless you want the Feds on your doorstep. You can go to LiveATC and sites like that to listen in easily.

1 Like

Yet another W @Mort post 😆

2 Likes

Thanks! I think Duluth is a really underrated city.

2 Likes

Ok. Thanks!

1 Like

true facts

1 Like

It appears that Duluth has gained a new route.

2 Likes