Your Complete Guide to Melbourne Tullamarine (YMML)

Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport - YMML

Melbourne Airport, also known as Tullamarine Airport is the main airport that serves the capital city of Victoria, Melbourne. Melbourne airport is also the second busiest airport since it has opened in 1970 to replace the nearby Essendon Airport.

There are three other airports encompassed in the Melbourne Metropolitian Area including Essendon Airport, Moorabbin Airport and the only other international airport in Victoria, Avalon Airport.

Terminals

Melbourne Tullamarine Airport consists of four terminals with a total of 68 gates; 53 domestic gates and 15 international gates.

The terminals are numbered from 1 through to 4 and this was introduced in 2005 to replace the previously Qantas Domestic, International and Southern terminal naming system.

Currently as of December 2022 the four terminals are assigned as follows:

Terminals Airlines
Terminal 1 Qantas/QantasLink Domestic
Terminal 2 International Departures (All Airlines)
Terminal 3 Virgin Australia Domestic
Terminal 4 Jetstar, REX and Air North Domestic

Airport Diagram

Source

Runways

Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport consists of two runways, a north/south runway and a east/west runway.

Runway 16/34 is 11,998 feet or 3,657 meters in length whilst runway 09/27 is 7,500 feet or 2,286 meters in length.

Runway 16 and runway 27 are the only runways equipped with the ability for pilots to complete an ILS approach.

There has been also many rumoured runway expansion projects over the years for Melbourne including the introduction of an additional north/south runway to the west of the current runway as well as an additional east/west runway to the south threshold.

Sources

Thanks for taking a read through the complete guide to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport. Hopefully this guide helps you to operate realistically into and out of Melbourne.

23 Likes

Great airport guide Declan!
I only came across this a few weeks ago. Don’t know how I didn’t see it on the home page, usually all I look for on the home page is the word Australia or any airport code starting with Y 🤣

1 Like

Any any know if theres a guide for Sydney, to go along with Melbourne. It makes a nice shorthaul flight

Unfortunately I don’t believe so.

1 Like

Thought I would give this topic a little bump now considering that YMML is now 3D in 23.3.

High, highly recommend this site from the VATSIM Australia Pacific division. Has almost all the other RPT airports in Australia as well. The VATPAC site itself contains a whole host of other information - a fascinating insight into Australian air traffic services provision and operations.

https://sops.vatpac.org/aerodromes/classc/Melbourne/