YMML (Melbourne) operations

Melbourne. Located in the state of Victoria, is a beautiful city with busy air traffic… Friday Night Flight is being held at this marvelous place. I just want to share with the community, how to operate in and out of Melbourne Intl. airport.
@Sam_K Approved!

Gates

International Terminal is where every international flight parks. This includes New Zealand, Fiji and anywhere that is not apart of Australia. Below is where the international terminal is, and where the domestic airlines, Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin park.

Departure

With departures at Melbourne, it’s a lot more easier than KLAX or YSSY as there are no parallel runways, so it is quite simple.

Flying to YSSY/YBBN/NorthEast

Departing from 34

ROKDL SALLY
To YSSY => DOSEL
To YBBN/NorthEast => NONIX
e.g if I was flying to YSSY, I’d add ROKDL SALLY DOSEL to my flight plan.

Departing from 16

HORSH ALBAK CHIMU SALLY
To YSSY => DOSEL
To YBBN/NorthEast => NONIX
e.g if I was flying to YSSY, I’d add HORSH ALBAK CHIMU SALLY DOSEL to my flightplan.

Flying to YPAD/YPPH/West

Departing from 34

ROKDL NEVIS

Departing from 16

HORSH ALBAK NEVIS

Approach and Arrival

Because of the busy airspace,You should not be following this as you will be following Approach frequency instructions. But if the airspace has calmed down and isn’t so busy…

Approach into 34

From North

Visual

LIZZI MAITE MONTY EGEKA SHEED YMML
Visual from SHEED - 2500ft / 185kts

Normal Approach

ARBEY RENER LAVER ALTS ALOA YARRA YMML

From West
Normal Approach

WENDY TEENA LAVER MMLSC BYN YMML

Approach into 16

From North
ARBEY and straight in.

From West
Disclaimer: This approach makes you fly a crosswind. Always follow ATC instructions if told to enter right downwind for 16!
WENDY TEENA KEELA PASCO JADEL NEFER
After NEFER turn left and capture the localiser.

I hope you all have a great Friday Night Flight in Australia and have a great weekend!

25 Likes

Great post Dave! Very helpful :)

2 Likes

Great topic planning a ANZ flight out of YMML tomorrow morning

1 Like

Great post, I might just add a few things in:

• Tigerair also parks where Jetstar parks
  • Sometimes in Peak hour, 27 is used to help manage traffic. Usually they’ll send departures to the south and west on 27, anything up to a 788
  • All heavies use 34/16
  • 09 is never used for departure ops and is rarely used for arrivals
  • Departing 34 to places such as YBCS and YBTL should be routed by the MNG VOR
  • Domestic departures to the N and E will almost always use 34/16

Hope this helps!

1 Like

I added the most popular route. I’m expecting that most traffic will go to YSSY, YBBN and YPAD

And I might add the tiger air…

1 Like

Thank you for the post. Very helpful and informative!! Would like to see more of this!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.