Yaw issue during takeoff, genuine issue

I have seen a handful of other people talking about this already.

When i get up to rotation speed in the cessna 172, the plane does not JUST yaw to the left or right slightly, it acts as if i slammed my rudder to one side and held it there for at least a full second. It has nothing to do with wind speed or direction, and it has nothing to do with calibration.

This has never occurred on any other flight simulator that i have ever played.

This happens with all general aviation aircraft in game, every single time i take off. And it didnt when i first started playing this game.

Its kind of ruining this otherwise awesome game for me right now, and i will screen record the issue happening and hopefully post it here or on youtube.

Thank you.

4 Likes

This is the nature of all single prop aircraft - because of their design there will naturally yaw in one direction as you gain speed.

The rudder is required to maintain the centreline.

1 Like

This image explains it very well. Most props spin clockwise when looking from behind. This causes a slipstream of air that wraps around the aircraft until it reaches the tail. The air then pushes the tail and causes the aircraft to yaw (in this case toward the left.). Using the rudder will help cancel this yawing action out.

This is why most flight instructors including mine, always say more right rudder!

6CFA112C-D463-4C91-ADB5-91BA6B09DA10

source

4 Likes

The SR-22 does not have it in the sim because of it being an older model

The reason for this is called P-Factor. It means that the bottom propellor has a higher Angle of Attack than the too propellor. The resolution to this is using opposite rudder during takeoff and climb.

Can you show a video of this happening? Usually screen recording and then posting the video on YouTube is the best way to show.

1 Like

You could have the autocoordination setting enabled which allows you to turn by tilting on the ground, but that messes with the rudder in crosswind takeoffs and landings.

As @tomthetank said, the above is definitely the best chance of narrowing down the cause. I agree with @BennyBoy_Alpha , @Chris_Wing and @Adventures on the physical effect of yaw irl, but I don’t believe this applies in general for single engine aircraft in IF.

I just tested to verify on solo with zero wind.

I agree (setting wind to zero) there is no single engine caused yaw modelled for the SR-22. But this also seems to apply to the 172, Caravan, TBM, and Spitfire. The only single engine aircraft that yawed without wind was the Xcub.

Actually, I’ve found I actually can use the rudder for crosswind correction with auto coordination on. But of course I can’t bank ailerons into the wind (because it affects the nosewheel while still on the ground). I haven’t tested it fully, but it does seem I maybe need to be more precise with the timing on the rudder for crosswind with auto coordination on.

The XCub is a taildragger and has completely different physics to the other single props.

1 Like

irl or do you mean in IF due to the development timeline?

1 Like

Both IRL and in IF :)

For all single engine aircraft irl, as the following reference discusses, there are 4 different processes that cause left turning tendency: torque effect, p-factor, gyroscopic precession, spiraling slipstream Left-Turning Tendencies Explained: Why Your Plane Pulls Left During Takeoff | Boldmethod

These exist for both traildraggers and tricycle gear aircraft. But a traildragger’s response is more sensitive in correcting for these effects due to the location of the center of mass and the steering wheel vs main wheel orientation.

For the taildraggers in IF the spitfire shows no yaw tendency at all (without crosswind) while the xcub does show some yaw effect. None of the tricycle gear single engine aircraft have this modelled.

So crosswind appears to be the only factor in common with all these IF aircraft that definitely affects takeoff yaw.

It’s interesting irl taildraggers cost quite a bit more to insure, simply because the increased instability shows up in the accident rates. Though taildraggers are more robust for avoiding the nose wheel damage risk of rough terrain.

2 Likes

This doesn’t pertain to piston aircraft, but I’ve found that the A220-300 and the 777-200LR/F yaw on rotation. And yes, before the mods say something about wind and crosswind correction, this behavior still occurs with 0 knots of wind. I always calibrate prior to departure as well. Don’t know why this happens while the other 777’s in the family don’t pull to either side while lifting off, same with the A220.

I’m not sure why this would happen. But I just tested the aircraft you mentioned, and I can’t reproduce the yaw on my device with the current installation. No wind and it’s very steady. If you continue to have an issue, it might be worth uploading a video example.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.