'XXX, please follow instructions'

Hi there, I just completed a short flight from KSAN to KLAX and during the approach on final, I received the message ‘XXX, cleared to land runway 25L’ and afterwards I acknowledged it. Then, I went to report my position as being on final runway 25L. I then received a message from ATC saying ‘XXX, please follow instructions’ and ‘XXX, please check the forum for assistance using ATC instructions’ however I didn’t do anything wrong from my perspective. If there is something that anyone can tell me I’ve done wrong from that explanation please let me know otherwise I’m assuming it was ATC error?

Thanks,

Flynn

Once cleared you don’t need to report position, They should have used “Your already clear to land, Avoid unesceary reports”

12 Likes

Ah ok thankyou! I only did because I was still a fair distance from the runway (maybe 10 nautical miles or so)

Ah ok yes that would make sense as they hadn’t given me instructions

Was this on TS1?.. because if it is, the ATC won’t be perfect because they are not trained or qualified.

1 Like

Yes it was, I did think that may have been a possibility

Firstly, ATC on TS1 can be very good, or very bad. Don’t rely on what they say (unnecessary follow instructions etc) but in some cases they are right. Once cleared, don’t report position. I understand you were far out but it’s better not to. The controller’s response should have been “You’re already cleared to land, please avoid unnecessary messages” though.

3 Likes

Ok no worries thanks for your advice, very much appreciated!

2 Likes

Question answered.