Wrong Flight Level

Howdy folks! Zooroo here, and today I’d like to remind everyone, especially those who fly at the wrong flight level (FL) that here in IF we are compliant to the real life ICAO flight level standards. The ICAO FL rules are very simple to understand and should be very easily memorized by every pilot in IF. Unless you’re flying in the Chinese, North Korean, or Russian airspace, you need to use standard ICAO aeronautical units (i.e. ft for alt, nm for dis) as these three countries enforce the usage of the metric units (meters and kilometers).

For your reference here is the standard ICAO Flight Level chart for both IFR and VFR. Thanks for your attention.

Source: flightcrewguide.com

There is already things very similar to this already.

2 Likes

G’Day @nincombop,

Seems as though this is a duplicate topic. You may want to consider searching before creating a post of such nature :)

1 Like

It’s okay. It’s fairly evident a refresher is desperately needed.

11 Likes

Hi there moderators, I’d like to keep this post here as it is an important reminder. Please kindly disregard the flag.

1 Like

Hi Rodgers, this is served as a reminder to the community. Please read the post before making a quick comment, thanks.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m pretty sure the people that need a refresher won’t bother reading this, and the people who don’t need a refresher already know this. Sadly, there will always be people out there that think cruising at FL410 is mandatory.

Still, a nice reminder to have.

1 Like

This is how I remember this. I’ve ever read this in a pilot handbook.

“NEodd SWeven”

NorthEast: odd altitudes
SouthWest: even altitudes

3 Likes

The west (even) and east (odd) rule is generally correct however there are exceptions.

Planes flying over the Iberian peninsula often fly the opposite (E.g I flew over the Iberian Peninsula going southwest and we cruised at FL410!

Over the Atlantic, the NATS states that planes can cruise at any altitude normally between FL320 and FL400, regardless of which direction they are flying.

1 Like

This is applicable to non-RVSM airspace. The NATS tracks have their own thing going on.

Ugh! Of all the mnemonics learned during training, this one really made me gag.
I prefer to think, “odd to the right, even to the left”. Works for me.

4 Likes

You know, IRL. That’s not always followed I saw a plane cruise at FL390 then one at FL400 and then FL410 Going west to east over the atlantic. The “Atlantic highway” doesn’t use those, because the planes all pretty much follow the same FLP till they get past iceland and close to Europe, They listen to what ATC tell them to fly at. But other then that they try to follow that

Yes, that would be the NATS of which we have been speaking above.

The tracks are posted each day, along with their levels. But these are a specific subset of flight paths. It’s not a contradiction to the typical rules.

https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/common/nat.html

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.