Wow: American Airlines Adds Austin to San Jose/Boston/Los Cabos

Well…

Just in a few minutes ago, American Airlines will launch nonstop service from Austin, Texas to:

• San Jose, CA (SJC)
  • Boston, MA (BOS)
  • San Jose del Cabos, Mexico (SJD)

Austin to Boston/San Jose (SJC) will run twice a day every day except Saturday

Austin to San Jose del Cabo will run every Saturday/Sunday beginning May 9.

• All flights operated with the 737-800

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images/artworkimages/mediumlarge/1/american-airlines-boeing-737-taking-off-from-lax-erik-simonsen.jpg

Full Schedule:

Departure City Arrival City Departure Time Arrival Time Frequency
Austin, Texas (AUS) San Jose, California (SJC) 7 a.m. 9:05 a.m. Daily, except Saturday
SJC AUS 9:55 a.m. 3:47 p.m. Daily, except Saturday
AUS SJC 6:50 p.m. 8:55 p.m. Mon.–Fri.
SJC AUS 6 p.m. 11:52 p.m. Daily, except Saturday
AUS SJC 4:30 p.m. 6:35 p.m. Sunday only
AUS Boston (BOS) 6:15 a.m. 11 a.m. Mon.–Fri.
BOS AUS 11:45 a.m. 3:10 p.m. Mon.–Fri.
AUS BOS 4:30 p.m. 9:15 p.m. Mon.–Fri.
BOS AUS 8:05 p.m. 11:30 p.m. Mon.–Fri.
AUS BOS 10 a.m. 2:45 p.m. Sunday only
BOS AUS 3:30 p.m. 6:55 p.m. Sunday only
AUS Los Cabos, Cabo San Lucas (SJD) 9:30 a.m. 11:10 a.m. Sat.–Sun.
SJD AUS 12:05 p.m. 3:40 p.m

What Does This Mean?

American Airlines is attacking Delta once again. Delta recently established SJC and AUS as focus cities. American will directly compete with Delta on Austin to Boston but American will serve SJC while Delta does not.

Who knows, Cancun or London could be next 😃

@BigBert10 @GlobalFlyer1 @Suhas @snoman Enjoy.

9 Likes

They’ll definitely have a lot of competition flying to San Jose, as both Alaska and Southwest fly the route! Excited to see American expanding here though.

@BigBert10 seems like American is flying to SJC from Austin.

Another surprise by American. This makes the 5th route American Airlines is starting to Boston for next year. Thus far, they’ve announced service to Key West, Grand Cayman, Nassau, London, and now Austin – all slated to begin in early 2020.

Austin is already served by Delta and JetBlue year round while Southwest is seasonal. At the peak season, this would equate to at least 5/6 daily flights to Austin. Wow!

I wonder what American is intending on doing with Boston. Sounds like they’re trying to rebuild their fortress prior to the US Air merger and eventual Delta takeover. Time will tell, I guess. Would be shocked if Boston could be a 3-carrier east coast hub. 👀

5 Likes

Yay @BigBert10 glad to see more flights to SJC! 2 of the best airports in the world!

I’m actually quite surprised by these. I know AA issued a statement a while back about challenging Delta at AUS but I didn’t think they would follow through on it. Glad I was wrong though!

Huh, is this a temporary add only for a single season

Or is this going to be a regular route

Reading the article again, it looks like it’s going to be year-round

This is unexpected…very unexpected

But nonetheless, I’m excited! 😃

1 Like

Regarding this I could see AA fly to CUN but it’s important to note Southwest also flies there. Also we already have BA and Norwegian service to London, it would be hard to sell a 3rd flight

I’m surprised they’re just starting to fly to Boston from Austin considering they already fly there from most of their other hubs like Philly, JFK, LAX, Charlotte, O’Hare and Miami

Boston and NY are actually quite underserved at AUS. We have an absurd amount of DEN, ORD/MDW, IAH/HOU, DFW/DAL and ATL flights but not that many to places like NY Boston and SoCal

This is interesting. Looks like AA is (finally) joining Delta, and time a lesser extent United, in recognizing the potential for more point to point flying. As DFW continues to be gate constrained and a major focus for network growth, it will be interesting to see if that frees up more opportunity for AA at AUS. It will also be interesting to see if they copy United in pursuing fast growing metro areas (e.g. PDX).

Gate constraints: https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepointsguy.com/news/american-airlines-dfw-900/amp/
United strategy: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/airlines-airports/meet-route-planners-mapping-uniteds-future

Austin is Building. We Will also build a new terminal soon. Glad for the new routes.

LOL

JetBlue just announced a 3rd daily flight from Boston to Austin.

In summer 2020, JetBlue will increase flights between Boston and Austin–Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) with up to three daily roundtrips. The added daily flight will offer travelers a new morning departure from the Texas capital to New England, as well as an evening return. Together, with the two additional daily trips, travelers will have more options than ever to choose from when flying between the Lone Star State and Boston.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetblue_airways/usn/usnews-story.aspx?cid=981&newsid=64578

1 Like

That was bound to happen. Austin is a major tech center along with Boston so I imagine there’s a lot of business travel between the two cities starting to ramp up now.

1 Like

I’m actually flying AUS-BOS on New Year’s Eve!

And there it is: Delta goes 2x daily on AUS-BOS from June 22.

1 Like

Yay! Grab the 🍿 folks

Yup, saw that earlier but forgot to post it. Austin is definitely not a 4 carrier route by any means so I think Southwest will probably get the boot.

Lots of opportunity for these airlines to get contracts from tech companies based in both cities (especially Dell EMC which are based in the Boston and Austin suburbs). The fight is on!

I unfortunately agree. I’m flying Southwest in this route in a couple of weeks!

EDIT: Whoops I’ve mentioned that a bunch of times already 😂 🤦‍♂️

1 Like

Well I didn’t say the route would end today but we’ll see how things play out. By fall 2020, they’ll be enough passenger data available to see who are the victors and who aren’t.

Maybe this could stay a 4-carrier route with all airlines making significant profit to keep it running. Who knows?

1 Like

I wasn’t saying that it would end super soon, I don’t anticipate my plans getting canceled lol.