Would you put your hand up?

##Would you put your hand up?

Picture the scene You are on a commercial flight, and it comes over the PA that both pilots are incapacitated and they need someone to step up. Would you feel confident enough to raise your hand and give it a shot?

I completely understand that is a 99.999% unrealistic question here. I am more trying to gauge and discuss how confident people would feel to do just that: Take control of a fully packed airliner and land it. And is that based on your IF experience or real world?

38 Likes

Yes, of course if no-one else was able to do so

1 Like

I would. I have flown in a simulator before and how hard could it be?

2 Likes

If this was to happen the likelihood is that there is an off duty pilot on board anyway. But yes I would put my hand up.

slightly off topic but Mr Bean (rowan Atkinson) landed a cesna 208 with zero experience

10 Likes

I would be like Usain Bolt up to the cockpit.

24 Likes

Thats what I think! I mean, surely with company talking you down … I mean surely setting up an ILS landing cannot be that hard… *
Presses ‘APPR’ and grabs cup of tea…

20 Likes

Haha, Love this comment Wren. Im going hunting for a video!!

I agree, there is always an expert around when you need one!

1 Like

And If it’s an airbus there is only 2 buttons up and down.

7 Likes

He landed a cessna 208

2 Likes

(Tea more like grabs a Pepsi in my case)

3 Likes

Oh yeah. On my recent trip to Hawaii, I was ready just in case because when you are flying over water for 3-4 hours and at the point of no return, you have to be

5 Likes

Yeah my bad I never fact checked but he did land a plane with no experience

2 Likes

It wouldn’t feel like a cockpit without a can of Pepsi under the window. IRLor not!

4 Likes

Be prepared!!

Lol ikr Pepsi is awesome and tasty

Yes, I would.

1 Like

Probably gonna die, but at least you can say you flew an airliner and didn’t have your pilot’s license :)

11 Likes

I would never wish this upon any commercial airliner flight, but if the plane is 100% going down, and no one else on the plane knows how to land or fly it, there’s really no better option than at least TRYING. You could either let the plane crash, or at least try to be a hero.

5 Likes

Probably wouldn’t be too good of a landing but I could probably do it.

Yes but no one would believe me

1 Like