Worthy tips for a good landing?

Wow, these are really worthy tips to help me practice!

Thanks all! ✈️

2 Likes

I always do my approach manual
I always follow the glide slope that appears next to the altitude and the speed.
I also follow the heading that is in the middle at the bottom.
Hope this is useful

1 Like

It will be quite a task to be able to land properly with all types of aircafts…

But I am taking all this information to my next training round!

1 Like

They very rarely use flap 40. 99% if the time is with flap 30.

That’s why I said I used to;) … thanks for that, enjoy the day.

1 Like

I made an entire tutorial about this. Hopefully it helps :)

1 Like

Also, check out this Topic. I have it bookmarked so I can quickly reference the quick reference cards (lol). It has most of the info you need to land a selection of planes.

2 Likes

This vid will help. It’s a A319 hud landing
3 Likes

Lock onto the ILS, then glide it down.

1 Like

For the first part of your question, use the voice altitude callouts to time your flares. Cut power at 20 feet and arrest the descent. It’s helpful to look down at the end of the runway.

1 Like

Hello!

• Always land manually, unless the weather requires autoland. It is very good practice, and is a lot more fun!

• The speed that you have to maintain varies greatly depending on the aircraft. For a general rule of thumb, the VAPP speed should make it so the FPV is approximately 3-6 degrees below the actual pitch indicator bar when in a landing config.

• Flaps should be set to full, or their highest degree setting, with some notable exceptions. The biggest example of this is the 737 series, where flaps 30 is more commonly used on landing than flaps 40. Flaps 40 is used for short runways primarily, like when landing at KMDW. For aircraft where the highest flaps setting is most commonly used, there is usually some situations where the second highest is also used. For instances, the A320, 757, and 767 series will use flaps 3 and flaps 25 respectively when landing with a high crosswind, or the aircraft is very light.

• I don’t really understand this question. If you could reply and rephrase it for me I’ll try my best to answer it.

My single biggest tip for anyone who wants to have better landings is lower your control sensitivity! This will allow you to have much more precise controls, and allow for minor adjustments on approach rather than overreacting. In my opinion, it also better simulates the feel of the aircrafts “weight”. Real aircraft don’t suddenly turn on a dime.

Here are my current sensitivity settings:

2 Likes

Hey, buddy!

Thanks for the information!

What I mean by the last question is - quite complicated but - from how many feet is it advisable to descend?

Or does that also have to do with the type of aircraft?

If you mean the crusing altitude:

It depends on the aircraft and flight length.

For the A320 it is typically between 32000 and 39000feet (FL320-FL390) but never higher than 39000feet as the aircrafts Maximum Service altitude is just slightly above 39000feet).

Other aircrafts might go up to altitudes such as 43000feet at times.

Which altitude to choose depends on weight and length of flight as well as the direction of travel.

The easiest option is to check real cruising altitudes on apps like Flightradar24.

Search termed for the community I would recommend:

• Cruising altitude (Odd/even flight levels)

• Step climb

In any case your cruising altitude will be the altitude you start your decent at, if not required to level off due to airspace or ATC restrictions.

2 Likes

This usually works on a 777 for me but. Try to keep your trim at +20% when landing. Then try to stay as much as possible on your approach speed until the 200ft callout is sound. Then once that happens reduce your thrust to the threshold crossing speed while doing a pre flare, then at the same time slowly reduce speed then once you hear “20” put thrust into idle and flare.

When approaching tho, be sure to use the glideslope and localizer indicators on your HUD to give you a more precise landing. And one more, if you’re having a hard time with alignment of the glideslope and localizer. The entering the ILS at around 3000ft AGL then adjust for the localizer and once the glideslope diamond slowly reaches the middle thats when you manually fly it.

Hope this helps you!

1 Like

Thanks mate!

1 Like

@Xalysis What aircraft are you using, I can give you a Thumb Rule For All But A Specific Aircraft is best :)

Hey @Aly2120 !

I usually fly with a 320 - easy - or a 787 - slightly more complicated.

Flaps FULL- A320
Approach The Runway With 20-35% Thrust And Idle When You Hear “20”

For The 787 Check this out

1 Like

Best thing you can do is practice with one aircraft - I usually recommend the B787-9 - until you are proficient in landing it. Once you get to the point where you are comfortable with that aircraft, start looking to branch out and try other aircraft. Just be aware that some aircraft haven’t got any ground effect. These aircraft require a totally different style of flaring, so I would suggest you stay away from these aircraft for now (mainly the A340, A380 and 747s.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.