World's Largest Airport?

Apparently Turkey is planning to make a new airport, named IGA (Istanbul Grand Airport). It will be expected to hold 90 million passengers by 1st building stage and 150 million by the 4th stage. I believe you can still enter a competition to design a control tower for the airport. It will have 6 runways and 2 terminals apparently (by the end of the fourth building stage). Excited to see this airport soon, by 2018, hopefully.

NATS Blog:

Wikipedia Link:

7 Likes

Is Turkey such a popular turist destination?

3 Likes

Not sure, but it’s a major stopover for people like me when they have to fly to Iran through another country (US y u do dis)

1 Like

Not necessarily that, it’s just a very well centered country, from IST (or IGA) you can head to South Africa or just all of Europe. Major layover, really. Like Nerd said.

2 Likes

It is a hub connecting Europe and Asia.

Suprising…6 runways but two terminals?!
Paris CDG has got 4 runways and 9 terminals.

Taxi time is going to be long!

2 Likes

Parts of Turkey, yes. I am currently on holiday in Turkey. Parts such as Alanya, Istanbul, Antalya, etc. Google it. It is really popular especially in Summer. A LOT of English tourists visit Turkey as well.

2 Likes

A lot of people go to Turkey for the summer. I once considered going to Dalaman.

Biggest by landmass? Currently Riyadh’s King Khalid International (Saudi Arabia) occupies the biggest area. They have a whole terminal for the Royal Family only!

Yes …

This is true that Turkey is planning to build the Worlds Largest Airport

2 Likes

Biggest by passenger passing or landmass?

I’m pretty sure it’s both …

Do research to find out more info

1 Like

IST is one of the busiest airports in entire europe, Turkish Airlines main hub and Istanbul by the way europe’s biggest city.

It’s a major tourist destination for Great Britian and a lot of Europe, possibly the biggest here

1 Like

DWC isn’t going to be that ambitious, I can’t see IGA, with less passengers getting anywhere near that kind of scale.

Why Turkey needs a bigger airport?

3 Likes

Because their current airport is small and cannot handle 747’s and A380’s. I think that Turkish Airlines is going to buy 747’s or A380’s.

2 Likes

I think they’re gonna lease a few A380s

1 Like

Seeing the situation in Turkey (the two attacks in IST & the coup d’état). It will probably never go near its capacity.

This is what people here in Singapore say, “wait long long”.

1 Like