World War One Airplanes

Hello IFC! Today in school I was assigned a research project on planes in World War One and I was wondering if anybody on the IFC knows anything about planes from this time and how they were used etc. Thanks for taking the time to help!

2 Likes

When you fired the guns, you had to be careful not to rip up the prop

1 Like

And the RAF (or whatever it was called at the time) wouldn’t let pilots carry parachutes, they thought pilots would be too quick to bail
Out and would waste an expensive aircarfy

1 Like

I also heard a pretty cool story about the first aerial kill. The first pilots didn’t have guns on their planes. So when an RAF observer went to do reconnaissance on German positions, he saw the same German dude flying over the other side. He saw him for about a week, but couldn’t do anything about it. So one day he brought up a pistol and shot the guy. The next time he went up, he had a Browning machine gun on his plane

2 Likes

SX569

Credits

There were a lot of different aircraft used by every country but they all had a similar design. I think it would be cool if you searched up the design and how the countrys built the planes. Many would take ideas from other country’s so I think you could have a really cool story on WW1 planes and how they all were kinda the same design and how each country built them.

1 Like

I think it would be important to note the use of Airships, along with how the germans invented the mechanism that fired in between the props. Maybe also list bombing tactics? (Idiots loop, etc)

4 Likes

Also remember that the Germans had giant bombers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.