Women's History Month: Amelia Earhart tribute

Hi, there!
I watched a documentary a few days ago on Netflix, about this incredible and brave woman named Amelia Earhart and I fell in love with her legacy.

Earhart was the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She set many other records, wrote best-selling books and was instrumental in the formation of The Ninety-Nines, an organization for female pilots.

During an attempt at becoming the first female to complete a circumnavigational flight of the globe in 1937 in a Purdue-funded Lockheed Model 10-E Electra, Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared over the central Pacific Ocean.

The two were last seen in Lae, New Guinea, on July 2, 1937, on the last land stop before Howland Island and one of their final legs.

She presumably lost her life in the Pacific. Nearly one year and six months after she was officially declared dead.

The Gardner Island (Nikumaroro) hypothesis assumes that Earhart and Noonan, having not found Howland Island, they would turn to the south and look for other islands.
Gardner (Nikumaroro) Island in 2014. “Seven Site” is a focus of the search for Amelia Earhart’s remains

Radio transmission suggests they flew a course of 157° that would take them to fly towards Nikumaroro, about 350 nautical miles south-southeast of Howland, ditching ashore the desert island.

This, and much more information about this great woman, visit the Wikipedia page 📄

I plan, this week, to replicate her incomplete leg (Lae - Howland Island) then flying over Nikumaroro island and proceeding to complete the last two legs, from Howland island - Honolulu - Oakland.

For this very last part, I need a little help. Which aircraft do you think that would fit better for these flights?
Doesn’t need to be similar to the Electra.

Feel free to join me, when I get things ready.

6 Likes
  1. Can I join?
  2. Try to do a medium-long haul aircraft, if it fits the airport
1 Like

Cool project. I’d say TBM930. Which makes long haul more of an adventure.

3 Likes

That’s a nice written bit of history involving aviation @Wesley_Ribeiro
Amelia Earhart is a famous name associated with aviation past history nowadays. Haven’t seen the documentary on Netflix but I will now you’ve shared this on the IFC forum.
I’d love to join (barring flight events lined up this week)to pay tribute. She’s a pioneer; inspired many female pilots today.
TBM fits the bill for me

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.