WINDS : Any tips to deal with them?

Hello!

Today, I was flying in London Region and the winds where more than 20kts!
So, I’ve faced 3 main issues:

• Plane automatically turning to the left (or right, it depend where the wind is) just after taking-off (So, do you have any advice for a correct straight takeoff when there is wind?).
  • During ALL the flight the plane was moving down to up, left to right. (Same, how to have a straight flight with less turbulence?)
  • Definitely to hard for a manual landing, so I had to use the Auto-landing (Is there a way for a good landing when the wind is exceeding 20kts?)

PLANE : A320

5 Likes

For your first issue. Use your rudder once your are airborne to help you maintain your trajectory.

As for your other issues. It comes down to practice, and looking at your instruments. Mostly wind speed and wind direction. Have to add extra correction for them.

Go onto solo and play around with the weather. Primarily wind, and practice the situations so you can become accustomed to them. Once you have practiced this. You will be able to handle any situation.

5 Likes

“Extra correction”, what do you mean? Should I fly slower? Fly with Spoilers on “Flight Mode”? With Flaps?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

Don’t worry. Winds are highly unreal in IF. Planes are much more stable in these wind conditions and the ground sliding on takeoff is a joke. Just go to your local airport and watch planes land with winds over 20kts. They certainly don’t get blown away like in IF. 20kts feel like a 100kts thunderstorm. They need to fix that.

10 Likes

Landings are unrealistic. You don’t see A320s getting blown around like that.

Not that much rudder is used for taking off in strong winds. In IF not even full rudder extent can keep you on the centerline.

It’s fine up to 10kts I agree but not above…

3 Likes

I said after in the air because they stated just after take off they were having issues staying on course so using the rudder would help with the corrections if turning into the wind for corrections wasn’t enough.

When landing just keep the circle part of the HUD on the runway

1 Like

By extra corrections I meant correct more than you would if the winds were not as strong. I apologize I should stated that differently.

Maybe we should consultate some real pilots who can compare IF and Real life the best?

1 Like

In IF the winds are way too effective.

Use the rudder and start practicing.

2 Likes

CROSSWIND TAKE OFFS

Here is something you can try for crosswind take offs.

Go to your settings and turn off “Auto coordination”

Use minimum flaps.

Tilt your device forward to force your nose wheel down. If you find your plane starts moving off center, try adding more pressure. Too much pressure will collapse your nose wheel on some planes, so keep practicing to find the right balance.

Gradually move throttle to 91% N1, some planes may require 98%

Your plane should stay straight until you reach V1. However, have your thumb on the rudder in case you need to make slight adjustments to keep it on the center line.

10kts below V1, start taking pressure off the front nose and at the same time start moving the rudder slider in the same direction that the wind arrow is pointing to keep the nose of your plane pointing straight.

Once your wheels leave the ground your FPV will appear, continue to pull the rudder so that the nose of the aircraft (indicated by the - v- in your attitude indicator) remains lined up with your FPV (the little circle inside your HUD).
Note : depending on winds and aircraft, be prepared to pull the rudder all the way to one side. When I take off in the ERJ 190 with a 20kt crosswind, I have to slide the rudder almost all the way to the one side for a straight and level take off.

Now the tricky part. If you let go of the rudder to bring your gears up, your plane will quickly roll to one side, not something you want to happen. What you need to do now is; hold your rudder where it is and tap on the gear up button and HDG buttons.

Once your gears are up, slowly return your rudder to centre. If you let it go or move to fast, one of your wings will dip to one side again.

All this time you need to also maintain the correct attitude (pitch) and speed.

Now you can continue with the rest of your climb.

Yes, there is a lot going on, which is why in my opinion, take offs are more difficult than landings, and crosswind take offs are exponentially more difficult than crosswind landings.

Give it a try and let me know how you are doing. Don’t expect immediate results, as it takes a lot of practice. I have about 1400 takes-offs in Live alone, and it’s still tricky, especially with the smaller jets. I don’t fly anything larger then the 737.

You can get more information of my Q&A page by clicking on my profile.

4 Likes

Add more weight to the plane when you find it is getting bounced a lot during flight, but remember to reduce it during your approach.

Rudder. Thats all i have to say

@Sebwillisfly Love to know which plane/s do you fly :)

1 Like

Thank you! Thought I was the only one noticing.
Didn’t you mention that you gave a real A330 pilot IF to play and he couldn’t control it at all?