Wind socks for airports

Let me know if this has been requested or not. I searched and couldn’t find anything. Not only would this add realism, but this would be very useful when trying to see which direction the winds are coming from, and how strong their gusting. Very useful tool. Especially for General Aviation Operations.

37 Likes

Great request! I’m surprised this hasn’t been requested before. Would be quite helpful and would give a visual aid reference of the relative wind. Most computer (PC) flight sims have this feature so I think it would be cool to have in IF also.

15 Likes

We add them to all the airports we edit.

I would love to see this

7 Likes

MaxSez: LOL… Use the METAR/Compass or Demand “ATIS”

3 Likes

Or don’t demand ATIS and stop bugging the devs about it and just ask for a simpler tool.

6 Likes

The actual wind sock would add a missing visual aspect, but as far as function goes remember that you have wind indications right on your HUD.

1 Like

Not everyone likes using the HUD feature. Some turn it off in cockpit view. I do it a lot when i’m flying the 172.

2 Likes

I hadn’t considered that, good point. I don’t fly without it personally.

I would like the HUD, if we also had realistic cockpit instruments.

I love this idea, mainly because it would be amazing for visual approaches.

3 Likes

See my PM…

1 Like

I’m still waiting

I want terminal buildings before windsocks.

2 Likes

This would be great :) definitely would add to realism :)

But first, it’s a 3D thing.

1 Like

Well since we’re adding them whenever we edit an airport, can’t wait how will show up in the game, as well the taxi lights.

5 Likes

I’d love this feature! It would add realism to the airport.

1 Like

since there are no buildings, this would help with depth perception, at least for me

2 Likes

These would really be a great help.

Hey mate, I like the idea but like mentioned in the airport cones feature request. It wouldn’t look right. I think airport buildings need to be built before this were to happen.
Good idea though.