Wind shift on final

Hello everyone!

Not sure where it’s something to do with the server or my device, but sometimes when I land (mostly at US airports), the wind significantly changes in the last 30 seconds before landing. The most significant one I had so far was yesterday when I was landing at CYYZ I had 69kt sidewind up to 2nm from the runway when the direction and speed changed to 5kt.

Device: Apple iPad Pro 2020 iOS 14.2

Video could be found using this link (unfortunately it doesn’t show the wind at replay but you can see how quickly fpv changes at the end)

1 Like

Sounds like you were having trouble connecting to the weather server and its not updating till on short final.

2 Likes

Definitely could be the reason, but the tick in the right top corner was green and it wasn’t a one-time issue

2 Likes

Hmm, Usually, surface winds are much slower then winds 500 above.

Like in Vegas, it can be 3kts surface, and 10-20 in-air. Although this also might be an app issue, its the little checkmark at the top right red, yellow, or green?

2 Likes

Very true but doubt the difference could be 60kts 😬

1 Like

Yea, that’s what I’m hesitant about.

1 Like

This ‘jerk’ in wind speeds/direction is a known issue. The way this system works will be adjusted in a future update.

2 Likes

Ah, I may have a solution. Which runway at Toronto did you arrive on?

1 Like

That was 15R

1 Like

A question that relates to this topic - is it a known issue for airspeed to fluctuate randomly on final approach regardless of winds even if the throttle and V/S are constant? I’ve had this problem several times in 20.2.

1 Like

@Maxim would be correct on this one :)

1 Like

What you are describing is most likely to do with the issue in this topic, so yes.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone. I guess everything described above answers the question unless devs have something to add :)

I have had this all the time since 20.2. Not sure what to do about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.