So there’s been talks for a few years on whether robots will replace human pilots.
Are the chances of it happening big or is it unlikely to happen?
Here are the positives and the negatives I have thought of if this change will happen :
(If robots replace pilots)
- There will be less mistakes made
- Less plane crashes, etc.
- Would be more reliable
- Airline company would spend less money
- A lot of pilots would lose their job
Which would mean the unemployment rate would increase(bad for the country)
- If the robot malfunctions(Which would be unlikely to happen but still possible)
- Also means that you lost a few years of working in becoming a pilot and you have lost a lot of money as well
Well, in my opinion, I think this is not a very good idea since as I said, loads of pilots will lose their job but on the other hand robots would be more reliable than humans, for example MH370, the plane that disappeared in 2014 or the Germanwings crash in 2015. That definitely wouldn’t have happened if a robot was in control of the aircraft. But the odds of a plane crash is 1 in 11 million!
According to this news article, it has already been tested out on a Cessna Caravan
The robot doesn’t have to be amazing at piloting the aircraft, it just has to better as humans.
So what do you think, will they be replace pilots or not and what is your opinion?
Also, some other jobs because of this might be lost, for example air traffic controllers.