Will pilots be a thing of the past?

I was reading this article and just wondering what others thoughts might be concerning the operation of pilot-less aircraft for passenger travel.

7 Likes

Even within this they say it is unlikely :p they said it can only be used and should only be used to supplement a flight crew.

Great article though

2 Likes

No. Nothing can change the security of having a real person in the cockpit. What if the robot fails? Gets hacked?

6 Likes

I agree. I want somebody besides “Intel” up in the front seat!

2 Likes

There are so many people that will never buy into full automation, particularly with transportation. Myself included. Take Airbus for example. There’s a ton of automation built into those aircraft but it’s still necessary to have a trained human overseeing the operation. Take into account how often A/P’s have failures or glitches and I believe anyone will agree that unmanned passenger aircraft are not a good investment. Now, unmanned freight transport over unpopulated areas may not be too far fetched.

6 Likes

You feel a level of comfort and safety when you see pilots. Computers fail, not if they fail. They will at some point, if you don’t have a human to take over (who fails sometime as well) you’re dead.

1 Like

Agreed. The programming for any automated system is still human generated code. Software, even created by the best programmers with the strictest QA standards, can and does have problems. I don’t want a ‘software problem’ at 30,000ft and no trained human to take over.

2 Likes

Bingo, very well said.

Pilots cannot be replaced. They are the soul of the airplane, and no computer can replace that.

1 Like

What?!! Robot aircraft flying … what’s next robot aircraft mechanics then robot aviation engineers… I just can’t trust machines to do a humans job. I understand pilots error and human factors but what if there is an emergency how would the robot react?.. and what type of judgement does it have?

1 Like

“will pilots be a thing of the past?”
If they are…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t trust a robot pilot…

Apparently planes can currently be hacked through the IFE used by some of the biggest airlines, if we can’t prevent this I doubt we can have full automation as this would allow total control to hackers

2 Likes

In my opinion, and like others have said, robots can never take the job of a pilot. The optimal situation would probably be where a pilot makes sure the computer does its job correctly, and vice versa.

2 Likes

They’re just now reviewing the Airbus?

1 Like

Not if I’m the CEO.

Oh no! It will be really scary to me. Even a computerized aircraft (Like the ones Airbus made) can’t drive it without a pilot (Imagine if there are some errors, or hacked by someone). Like @Flightfan84 said, Take into account how often A/P’s have failures or glitches and I believe anyone will agree that unmanned passenger aircraft are not a good investment.

I can’t imagine if someone hacks the robot and crash the plane into a building like 9/11 :/

In the future robots will probably outsmart humans so in a emergency they would probably do better. In my opinion in the future automation could probably fly just as good if not better then humans but because of people not feeling safe in automation there will still be 1 pilot most likely.

2 Likes

Once we develop security to be sure aircraft systems are not susceptible to hacking, and the aircraft are able to fly themselves, I see no reason why I would not be happy to fly on one of these aircraft, so long as the airlines have qualified pilots on the ground who could remotely control an aircraft should it get into any trouble.

The robot hit’s a smooth landing yet this happens. image

I know it’s photoshop, however it is a mass possibility. Machines will always fail at one point.

2 Likes