Why updates take so long

I heard alot of people (including me) complaining especially during the 20.1 update development about how much time it was taking, and I hear comments such as “we want this livery and this livery and this livery” and people want it to come so quickly. Well why they dont add every single livery is because they first have to design it based off of real life liverys, then they have to code it to work with the whole world and with several different IOS or android update versions because IF still supports IOS 11! They also have to code it so that it doesnt cause bugs. Its ALOT of work, even though they are proffessionals at this it still takes forever to do, think about this there are probably Thousands of lines of code for every update that need to be written then edited for bugs. Im not trying to judge anyone with this im just trying to clear something up about update time, if you think about it they’re pretty quick for how much work and research goes into it.

Ps. I do it too sometimes and am trying to work on it.

Thank you and happy flying

4 Likes

feel free to PM me if you strongly disagree or want to debate. If it turns into an argument a mediator will be called in

4 Likes

If people think 20.1 took too long… then they obviously weren’t here when global was being done 😂 took more than two years

18 Likes

I wasnt here for that. but hey its global.

1 Like

Not going to read it all. But answer they do good updates. I am will to wait how ever long it take to make amazing updates after updates. I’m happy that they don’t rush updates to ever 2 weeks like another mobile flight sim (who’s name I won’t say) does and then that update is full of bugs that make the experience ever bad. Also the take time in adding cool and awesome features that enhance the game play and realism.

2 Likes

I know i remember 20.1 had some bugs and people were saying “well you couldve taken more time on the update” but just a few days before people were saying " if this doesnt come out im cancelling my subscription"

1 Like

You make some good points. Another thing I want to add to the reason they might be taking long is because the IF team is doing their best to make sure each rework is as realistic as possible. Things like the physics of the plane and accuracy of the liveries is not easy.

2 Likes

Very true, and code isnt the simplest thing in the world.

1 Like

It’s not easy to make an update, and the devs do everything they can. IF release updates every three months or so, and the planes are very accurate (except for the A350 windshield, 777 nose, engines, etc.) The point is that updates may take too long, but it definitely worth the wait!

There are other games that releases new updates every month or less, but their models are not accurate, and every aircraft has the same cockpit… * cough * * cough * RFS * cough * * cough *

6 Likes

Oh yeah more like RF-Vomit

3 Likes

Also, updates shouldn’t be the primary focus of the community in my opinion. If everyone just keeps looking ahead then they’ll never enjoy the awesome stuff that they have in the moment

3 Likes

very true, maybe they could make suprise updates.

Was the 737-700/800/900 live cockpit not a surprise? What about the 777-200LR/F coming with the v20.2?

1 Like

I think he meant like non-announced updates, not non-announced features.

Cuz homie

Lol

1 Like

This is why they take so long

and in just 9 years, they did this

6 Likes

Infinite Flight is all designed, developed and tested in house, by a small group of staff that work during their free time and may have other full time jobs.

Updates take so long becuase of this reason, alongside gathering the information and making sure each build is absolutely perfect before sending it out to us, so we don’t have to suffer from any issues or problems.

I realise you’re trying to spread the word out, but there will always be demand, misunderstandings between languages and general chatter, and complaints/criticism/feedback. It’s all part of being a business, of any shape or form.

This isn’t the main reason. Each livery takes storage on the server, and the more liveries and aircraft, the higher the cost to maintain the servers as they are, and as they improve. This means that in each update the developers are losing profit from every individual subscription, however based on popularity, will gain a higher profit than previously on an increase in subscriptions overall.

In short, the app and software versions with liveries aren’t the issue, that’s more internal parts of the app. It’s the cost of storage on the servers that’s the real culprit with new liveries.

3 Likes

I always believe in Quality vs Quantity . So if they rush updates things will just turn out bad . Thats why I dont mind if the updates take long. Cause when they are done they do an good job and theres barely any visible bugs you can see with it. Its like taking an math test. If you rush through it you are bound to make some mistakes. But if you actually take your time and master what your answering then your result will turn out much better.

1 Like

Well they want to perfect every update, so everyone doesn’t complain about bugs and issues. The devlopment team works hard every update with code, new features, new plans etc… It isn’t as easy to C +P everything . Every detail goes into account, which not everyone sees at first glance. Alpha and beta testers work hard to perfect the update for everyone to enjoy which take up some time too.

3 Likes

I think I already know which sim your talking about based on my experience. Which is why I’m glad they dont rush updates

2 Likes