Why the "check help pages" call?

Just landed on 35L at KAPA and when I contacted ground to make sure I was cleared to cross 35R I got the “see help pages for ATC instructions”. Every day when I fly in real life, we brief that if at any point we are unsure if we are cleared to cross a hold short line, we can just query the controller. So why are controllers so quick to dish out the “call of shame”?

16 Likes

Which server did this take place?

1 Like

Calling it the “call of shame” is a little extreme. When a controller says to check tutorials, you should take note on what happened, and search it on the forum or contact the controller.

If you think it was a mistake, I would still recommend contacting the controller, or an IFATC moderator. Be sure to take
screenshots of the log, and take note of the controllers name, and time.

8 Likes

It was on expert

2 Likes

So what would you call it? Pilot error or ATC issue?

1 Like

@Cessna_Driver Correct! So being that this was on expert there is most likely some reason that the command was issued. PM the controller privately and you can discuss the issue and see what’s up.

3 Likes

Like my friend Matt said, odds are he mit have issued you a clearance prior to your asking so he got annoyed that you asked again. If you aren’t sure, check your log and review the last commands to see what might have gone wrong.

1 Like

I would call it either pilot error, or a simple misunderstanding, yes.

1 Like

Na, I think we need controllers to tell people more often to check the help pages. We’ll shame them till they leave or improve

2 Likes

if it was on expert 99% of the time you were doing something wrong.

4 Likes

Since when is it wrong for a pilot to seek confirmation to avoid a CMAV?

4 Likes

It’s not wrong. The problem is that when there’s 20 pilots during a 1 hour session, it gets a little too repetitive. If you go to JFK and ask for something after being cleared, yes they will repeat it and they know why you asked again, but they’re gonna tell you to pay attention next time. That’s all. You feel like you’re being targeted but in reality, the controller didn’t even pay attention to see who you were. There’s too much going on at once to do that.

4 Likes

so atc at KASE was right on sending departures off 15RWY? (EXPERT SERVER)

2 Likes

If you can’t make the climb, don’t fly

1 Like

U cannot be unclear on IF. You have a log to open and check instead of asking again. Not same as real life. But contact the controller to clear things up

Can you provide proof for that,

It’s not the call of shame at all. We issue it if you’re doing something you shouldn’t be. so you come here, and ask the question just like you have done. Helpful tip in RL asking again or for clarification is the norm, however in IF it’s completely unnecessary. When you click on the hedset you will see ATC, then log on the left side. The log is all of your ATC/Unicom interaction. So asking again on IF isn’t necessary. As others have mentioned we use it frequently just due to the amount of traffic we receive, and deal with. Thanks for asking the question though.

4 Likes

controllers have since changed and I didn’t take a screenshots but it was he controller before @r3life who is doing a great job right now it was IFATC YASHI MASHI? not sure of the spelling, . I’m not trying to throw anyone under the bus and I know atc is hard but how is one to feel when you’re told check the help pages yet the skies above KASE looked like Training Server

3 Likes

Expert level is meant for realism, not necessarily if I can’t “make the climb” for that I can go on Free Server take full full throttle nose up and fly.

1 Like

IFATC doesn’t have to follow RL procedures it’s encouraged but not a requirement. Proof or not it wouldn’t make a difference.

2 Likes