Why only English?

Why is only English allowed on the forum? I’ve been curious for a while and would like to know lol

Thanks 👌

3 Likes

Because it’s the language that the majority people on here will know to a certain degree.

10 Likes

That is just how life is

1 Like

I believe there is some French and Spanish IFC forums, but they are hidden to those who have chosen English as their language I believe.

4 Likes

There are currently 7,117 known languages spoken by people around the world…

Imagine if everyone spoke their own language. If that wouldn’t be chaos, tell me what you would define as chaos.

They’re not hidden. It’s Español & Français which is for Support and the reason they exists is because they’re very common within our Community and we also have fairly extensive language knowledge for those two in-house.

15 Likes

Yeah that would make sense as there are support categories for Español and Français

2 Likes

Good points there. Thanks for the response!

Ah I see, thought there was more than those two and those two were the only ones made public so that people speaking other languages could help using google translate. Thanks for explanation!

1 Like

This makes me raise a question…
If forum users don’t speak English, is there some form of punishment ie suspension?

3 Likes

Additionally, most browsers have a built-in translation service these days.
Using that for one language which also happens to be one of the largest in the world and the most spoken one within the industry we’re in, it makes it a whole lot easier for those services to function properly.

I can tell you from first hand experience that translating some languages into English creates a hell of a lot more confusion than doing it the other way around.

8 Likes

Dowiedzmy się. (I’m jk)

Valid question but honestly not one we’ve had to think about or even consider in the past 8 years :)
You usually explain it to the user once and that’s about it. It’s never been a problem.

5 Likes

English is pretty much understood everywhere (for the most part) and is therefore the “de-facto” language for a lot of things.

3 Likes

Okay… Makes sense though I have a follow up question

In private chats, are users allowed to speak other languages besides English? Even if it’s just to mess around and have fun

1 Like

I would personally assume so since it’s a private msg I guess

1 Like

Yes, it’s fine in PM’s.
The automatic flag system likes to pick on words in German & Dutch to flag as “inappropriate” quite often.

4 Likes

So indeed humans are sometimes smarter than AI 😂😂😂

2 Likes

Yes. In most countries, English is taught either alongside or in the place of the native language.

2 Likes

Also English is the international language of aviation

3 Likes

And why is that?

1 Like