Why one engine reverse thrust?

I just watched landing video’s at EHAM. The landings were amazing! Here is the vid if want to watch it:

My question is: Why do some pilots decide to make a one engine reverse thrust? Not only this B777 but if you watch the video there are other aircrafts that do it. Is it because the weather conditions or other things?
Here is a example:

Landing is at 09:02

6 Likes

Strange, never seen that before!😎🇦🇺

3 Likes

Im not really sure but Im sure they can use the brake (dont count on it but I believe pilots use the brake, not the parking brake obviously)

2 Likes

That’s definitely not the reason. They have already landed, why would they wanna save fuel?

3 Likes

The only reason I can think of is the thrust reverser is disabled. For example TAM 3054

3 Likes

Ill have to ask my uncle if he isnt busy with AA work atm

2 Likes

What’s TAM?

1 Like

Not saying your wrong about this situation but planes on the ground still need to save fuel. Some airports taxi aircraft with tugs to save fuel during taxi and it’s not uncommon at all so saving fuel wherever possible is a big thing for airlines

It is a Brazilian airline

1 Like

You have linked a particular flight linking to a crashed plane, please link TAM Airlines not a particular doomed aircraft.

1 Like

Lol I know is what reverse thrust is

1 Like

He was talking about that specific crash in his previous comment

2 Likes

Wow never seen that before.

1 Like

Generally, in some rare situations when the crosswinds are severe enough, reverse thrusters are used on a particular side of the aircraft. One of the reasons is that the pilot may not have enough deflection in the rudder or the ailerons/spoilers to “keep a wing down”. Using the reverse thruster on one side, causes the extra drag necessary to keep the aircraft tracking straight down the runway.

2 Likes

Well let’s say that an airlines A320’s reverse thrust uses 15 Litres of fuel, and the plane lands 4 times a day, now that’s become 60 Litres. Not only that the airline has a 767 that uses 25 Litres for reverse thrust, and that plane lands twice a day. In addition to that they have 37 767’s that land at least once a day now think about that fuel, also they have 18 777’s that use 35 Litres per landing, and some 40 CRJ’s that use 7 Litres per landing, and some other aircraft. The airline has 700 daily arrivals. Now what’s 700 multiplied by 365, it’s 255 000, now that’s a lot. You see the fuel buildup, that means money buildup, and airlines dont want to spend too much of it.

2 Likes

For airlines that purchase tens of billions of litres(1)(American Airlines Group Inc. 2016, p.18) of fuel on an annual basis, reverse thrust usage or carrying around the mechanism is just factored into the cost of doing business.

(1) Ernst and Young LLP (Ed.). American Airlines (2016). American Airlines Group Inc. Annual report.. Fort Worth, TX.

2 Likes

That there aeroplane is broken

1 Like

I am not sure if this is normal but when I was landing Jet Airways had its reversers on the whole time until we left the runway, I’m sure it was at idle but you could see it was still active, they turned it off as we approached the taxiway to the gates.

1 Like

Basically they don’t have to use both reversers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.