Why is your American Airlines flight canceled?

Introduction

Many people flying on American (and other airlines) have experienced many cancellations lately. So I’m going to explain the best ways to avoid a cancelled flight and why so many are being canceled.

Why is it canceled?

Obviously, there are many reasons a flight can get canceled, maintenance issues, delayed inbound flight, and more. But right now cancellations are up 50%. The reason is that employees are commonly contracting Covid and are unable to show up to work, sadly though, a lot are using this as an excuse to miss work. But that’s not the main reason for the uptick in cancellations. Flight attendants and pilots normally fly multiple places in one day. It’s like a big network, they are assigned a schedule to fly. But if one crew misses a flight, then they can’t make it to the next flight, it is a chain reaction. For example, 3 weeks ago, multiple flights inbound to San Antonio we’re canceled on American. This caused 80% of their flights for 3 days to be canceled or delayed. Now you may think, “oh they can just get extra flight attendants”, nope, no extra flight attendants available or on reserve at San Antonio.

How to avoid canceled flights?

This applies to most airlines in the US.

1. Try and fly through larger airports were the airline is more likely to have extra flight personal.

2. Check flight status and look for back up options ahead of time.

3. Check to see how many flights are being canceled at the airport.

Hopefully this helped some of you. I know many are upset about all the cancellations.

Also, I’ve flown out of PHX more than 400 times, and I’ve never had a canceled flight. Only 2 delayed flights.

Feel free to share a time your flight was cancelled and if you have tips of your own

4 Likes

Or you could just rent a private jet ^^ Never gets canceled and is only slightly more expensive xD

5 Likes

Or another pro tip, don’t fly American altogether 🤪. Jkjk, thanks Bordy, this is very useful info!

4 Likes

I’ve flown American well over 20-25 times now and I’ve only experienced 1 delayed flight (by 40 minutes) and 1 bad customer service interaction. I can’t say I dislike them, in fact, they’re one of my Top 3 to fly in the U.S.

Your tips are pretty accurate though, flying into one of their big hubs (DFW, PHX, MIA, etc) is the best way to avoid cancellations.

3 Likes

Good topic, but note this doesn’t go for just American, it could apply to literally any airline that operates like American, say Delta, or United, or Alaska, list goes on. American is just more notorious for their delAAys and cancellAAtions imo.

2 Likes

Can second this. Though it was by no fault of American’s, we got stuck at our gate for at least 90min headed to Nashville.

2 Likes

Ive flown with American for almost 25 years now. I’ve only had 1 major incident on AA and that was when an unruly 1st class passenger was upset she was going to miss her connection due to long lines for departing (little under an hour waiting in queue to take off). She stood up, refused to sit back down, and the aircraft got within 100 feet of landing and shot back up into the sky. Caused me to miss my connection, which if we didn’t go around, I’d have made my connection lol. I’ve had more cancelled flights, overbooking problems, and delays with Southwest than American. I’ve been delayed on American two other times, but that’s because they made a last minute switch to send our kdfw to Logan md80 to kord and use the kord 757 for the Logan flight which due to the last-minute switch caused a minor delay. The other delay was due to a snowstorm in kdfw, while other airlines were cancelling, American got us up in the air after a slight de-icing delay. I’d rather be late than not be able to show up lol.

3 Likes

I’ve only ever experienced a cancelled flight on American once and it was a perfectly valid reason. I was supposed to fly down to Florida to visit family in October 2018 but Hurricane Michael hit and cancelled all flights.

2 Likes

Wow. I pretty much never had a delayed flight or cancelled because most of them are in Australasia

1 Like

There are a number of small tips to avoid canceled flights. The easiest way is to take a flight in the morning. In aviation everything accumulates and becomes catastrophic at the end of the afternoon. Also avoid Short connections (or even travelling) on ​​Saturday, it’s the busiest day!

Talking about a company’s propensity to cancel a flight may be true. Since I work IRL for many companies as a flight dispatcher, I have a reserve duty. However, what is easy to understand is that the companies all have a different policy on this subject.

example among many others: a low cost which is not in an alliance, will not lose money if the connections are not assured. So easier to cancel a flight directly if the plane that is supposed to provide it has taken a long time. So instead of having 5 flights late, there are 4 on time and one cancelled.

1 Like

I was gonna say 😑

1 Like

What kinda talk is this.

4 Likes

the truth

1 Like

Remrmber a canceled flight once from BA and god how awful they were for not giving any infomation. about how lonng the delay was, why the flight was delayed (it was a engine issue later found out). We asked for a refund and they said no as european regulations dont applly to them and they did enough for us by putting us up in a 5 star hotel at their expense, and putting us on a the next availabe flight in the morning. Only that we get legal advice they relended and gave us our money back. fly their sister airline Aer lingus, who actually care about customer service and dont treat you like a inconvenience. The law states i got this from a solictor i know, is that if the delay is more than 5 hours, regardless of the length of the journey, and you decide not to take the next flight, you are entiled to a full 100% of the cost, after this the airline does not have to give you further care as the matter is considered closed

Yeah, I definitely haven’t had this problem in the past 24 hours.

1 Like

Texas also got snow and ice then which made airline travel impossible through DFW, American’s main and biggest hub.

1 Like

As someone who works in the aviation field and deals with passengers as well. Your flight can be cancelled for multiple reasons. Sometimes its the airlines fault sometimes it isnt. We dont control the weather nor do we control when ATC puts in EDCTS for certain areas of the country. ATC delays can cause back log and delays. However, we are in a middle of a pandemic and while airlines want to get you to your destination, sometimes that may not be possible because they may not have a flight crew aviailable due to covid or because they simple have worked the amount of hours in the day. When a flight cancels thats money the airline has lost instead of making a profit. At the end of the day, WE want you to get you to your destination and we dont like delays either.

5 Likes

Well the weather wasn’t an affect on San Antonio, but idk.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.