Why is there a speed limit for planes

So when your taking off on a plane in IF and you reach 250kt and your below 10,000 feet and just keep going past it and then you end up getting a violation why is this and does this happen in real life?

3 Likes

yup! it happens in real life as well! any jet plane has to fly under 250kts under 10k unless they clearance to go past that.

#ReworkThe757 :)

6 Likes

How could you get clearance to past that

3 Likes

ATC will give you clearance. I don’t think it happens in IF though. only IRL.

3 Likes

When I was on the 757 a few weeks ago we were taking off and then he slowed down I only thought you had to slow in IF not in real life

1 Like

There’s a speed limit for planes because of the structural tolerance of the aircraft. They’re not invincible, you know.

6 Likes

Agreed it happens in real life

1 Like

This is really a good thing to know thanks for the help!

3 Likes

Of course!

2 Likes

It may both be structural(?) and noise reasons below 10000ft, and above that structural only because of mach effects. Fighter aircraft still need clearance to speed above M1 above 10000 because of noise (sonic boom) I recall.

3 Likes
12 Likes

And if you are in Class Bravo air space, you can’t go faster then 200KIAS

1 Like

I took Offf at manila RPLL yesterday Bound for Los Angeles and on the tv they had displayed a little hud of the 773er and I saw at about 5,000 or so out GS speed was over 300 knotts and airspeed at 400 ?? How?

2 Likes

You should read what @Tim_B posted.

1 Like

There is not a chance in the world you were travelling 400 KIAS @ 5K feet.

In fact, you would never be travelling 400 KIAS at any altitude on a commercial airliner.

Perhaps it was the filed airspeed (TAS) or something, though it seems pretty low for that, but it surely was not KIAS.

2 Likes

Apparently that’s only for being beneath and not inside the class bravo. Obviously IF doesn’t enforce this.

3 Likes

Correct, and the VFR corridors within it.

2 Likes

I swear on the hud it said, I should’ve Taken a pic and yea it might be we were going more than 300

1 Like

There’s a big difference between 300+ and 400. You might have been going 305, 310, 315, etc. 400 is definitely way too high, though.

1 Like

Hummm, what about this ?
Screenshot_20190816-104304

(It’s The ground speed)

1 Like