Why is the Dash 8 Q400 so hard to land?

Wow! Almost every time I fly the Dash 8-q400 I feel like a drunk monkey trying to open a coconut! Anybody else have trouble with this plane? I’ll keep practicing with it and see if the coconut can be opened! Also noticed a Tutorial on landing the Dash… of course the way i’m going with the plane it could be renamed the Crash 8 - Q400!

I can’t seem to keep the nose down on landing and have a hard time not stalling the airplane on final.

Any tips would be appreciated.

14 Likes

Keep practicing and flare a little bit (slightly pull up the nose

8 Likes

Try not using full flaps if you are. only go to like 15 degree and keep your speed around 115 knots. Full flaps is for short runways. I usually do about 15-20 perfect trim on it

7 Likes

Thanks! I’ll try this. I have used full flaps every time and just can’t keep it under control. I appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Full flaps is like 95 knots speed at our approach

1 Like

With the dash-8 I noticed that more speed is better. I normally touch it down at about 120kts and on final 135kts, which is pretty fast, but it stops it stalling.

2 Likes

I just tried coming in a little faster like you suggested, around 125kts. I got the plane on the ground several times doing that, but man, it was ugly! Thanks for the help.
dh

1 Like

Something that would help is if you took a video of your landing, so that we could see what’s causing the problem.

2 Likes

Hope this helps :)

2 Likes

Try doing it at 115 knots with 15 percent trim and a decent rate of 500-600 feet per minute

2 Likes

I tend to struggle to land the dash 8 and the 737 but my dad got the iPad pro and its bigger which means i can’t move as much. steady hands is the key

1 Like

Give her a little throttle as she hits 10 feet, practice makes perfect.

1 Like

Its not that its hard, its the fact that its almost impossible to control with wind over 5 kts.

1 Like

Really? I don´t have this problem.
I feel a drunk coconut when I try to take off with a 787

3 Likes

Well, its not that I struggle with it, I just don’t prefer to fly the Dash-8. I like the bigger jets, and small GA Aircraft. The Dash-8 just doesn’t feel the same as the others. Completely different to me, and it feels really weird to fly, and and land especially.

1 Like

I use flaps 15 and 109 knots.
Trim 10-20%

Hard to land?. I actually love flying Dash. I agree that it can be quite challenging to land, that’s reason why love flying this plane. It’s quite a good feeling when you bring her in for a very soft touch down.I will say, pay attention to your flap settings. I usually land at about 135-140 knots. It may be a bit high, but a busy air space you won’t like slow down faster jets behind you. Keep practicing and once you get it, you will love this plane.

5 Likes

That’s odd I find it one of the easiest

2 Likes

To have a smooth touchdown right before flare put flaps 30 and let the plane feather in

1 Like

Still better regional then the CRJ 200.

2 Likes