Why is Nothing Free?

Because.

Yeah, it’s that simple. Just because.

Let me back up a little bit here. If you do something awesome and crazily reasonable that takes up plenty of your time, what do you expect? Compensation. You wouldn’t suffer through four hours of washing pressurized dishes and dumping trash that gets all over your clothes for free, would you? Apply it to any other job you take on. What’s in it to give up your free time?

Want to live in a house? Want to buy candy? Want to pick up that cool looking laptop you saw in Best Buy the other day? Here are a few things to consider:

• What’s in it for the firm to give it to you for free? What are they supposed to do about all the costs it took to bring the product to your eye?
  • Why do you want people to starve because you’re being a cheapo?
  • Karma. No money for them = can’t pay employees = employees can’t pay for anything = no money for you to buy anything if you work somewhere.

People here don’t realize the amount of effort it takes to create an amazing product as FDS has. They listen. They create what the community wants. They consider feedback. And anyone who’s a decent worker and has been involved with other companies in the past knows they are far better than the sleemos who rip you off for something not even worth the money.

Here, it’s a sandwich for a plane or a month of Live. 12 sandwiches for a whole year of Live+. For 3 square meals of burgers a day, that’s epically good for the close to 1,000 you would consume overall. .012% of your sandwich year? Pretty awesome bargain if you ask me. Barely 1/1000th.

Example: Larry the Cable Guy broke his leg. Nobody wants to cough up cash for the insurance pool or his performances. Larry’s leg will forever be broken and he can no longer deliver the trip and fall antics that bring joy to the children of the world. Congrats, you killed childhood dreams. How do you feel now?

================================================================================

The first thing you will learn when you walk into a basic economics class is that everything has a cost. Doesn’t matter. And no, it doesn’t have to be money; people get hung up on that common misconception. Your loss of free time is a cost. Giving up your plane is a cost. Be smart and recognize the optimal ones for yourself and the costs you value.

For that, nobody should ever be complaining about the very fair (in my opinion) prices set for the items offered by FDS. Don’t like it? Recognize the cost you’re willing to give up, mostly applying to the 12 year olds who can’t afford it, and move on. If you think it’s worth it, good for you!

Just my $.02. The whole point of this post is for people to recognize why there has to be cost. If you can somehow figure out and invent an utopia where everyone shares everything for free and lives in familial units, $.03 for you.

83 Likes

Agreed, someone needed to say this.

3 Likes

Well nothing is free…cuz you get nothing ;)

6 Likes

And it’s two cents well spent. The continual bleating of ‘but whyyyyy won’t it be free, s’not fair’ frustrates me immensely. There’s an entitled element that seems to expect the moon on the stick and to do nothing in return. I might pay ever so slightly more for some elements of the game/sim but I much prefer that to the IAP cons that other apps insist on using before you can progress… ‘Pay £7.99 and we’ll give you 5 Gold coins which you can put towards half a plane, you lucky thing’. No ta.

4 Likes

Fantastic thread, Josh! This is the perfect way to get more people to realize what companies such as FDS have to deal with!

1 Like

@JoshFly8 I see while you are at school getting your FREE education, you have plenty of time on your hands. But nice post BTW

21 Likes

Yep, that free education that’s paid for out of income tax. Free at the point of delivery yes, but we do pay for it.

3 Likes

Great point:-D

1 Like

I recently joined the airport editing team for global and my word what a hard challenge it is , I have a new respect for FDS and believe everything should be paid for as even creating one airport is hard enough a whole reigon … Forget it !

4 Likes

Nice post Josh, Very nicely written, except for poor Larry. On a serious note, people need to understand that everything has a price and IF is no exception

2 Likes

Yes…why don’t some of you work for free? I would love to see some of you (which most are too young to work in the first place) work for free and listen to people complain about $3 while you push 50 hours + a week. If mom and dad won’t buy you a fake airplane too bad. Go wash some cars or cut grass in the neighborhood.

If you can’t afford it it’s not for you. Stop complaining about it. I can’t afford a Ferrari, but you know what? I don’t tell Ferrari it should be free and complain about it.

I support FDS and the fees that come with it. It’s a great to support FDS.

I hear a Airplane Parking Simulator is free, go download that if your mum or dad won’t give you money…or…wait, you’ll have to work for free!

6 Likes

It’s concerning to me that this is even a topic…

5 Likes

I admit I saw this title and freaked out lol. I thought it was a noob guy joining and was about to chew him out. Nice work Josh. This needed saying and is a refresher from all those on IFFG and such who hammer FDS with this question.

3 Likes

You are not the first and you certainly wont be the last to express this.

2 Likes

I’ve already done a topic similar to this one ;-)

4 Likes

There’s no such thing as a free lunch.

1 Like

Unless you steal it

3 Likes

Well that’s one way to do it😂

2 Likes

In my opinion I think that when anyone brings up the “why can’t things be for free” we should all just ignore it. FDS has done an amazing job at creating such a wonderful and to be exact the best flight simulator for mobile devices. They also have included many FREE planes and regions. Those that can’t afford to buy planes and regions shouldn’t complain and simply enjoy what’s already free. They don’t understand the time and effort that is put into developing the game. If the free planes and regions aren’t satisfying enough then the best suggestion is to stop playing the game and stop bashing the developers over this. If you truly love this game then support the developers as they actually listen to the community and give us what we ask for unlike a ton of apps out there that are based on taking everyone’s money and don’t care one bit about what any of the users have to say.

2 Likes

Some doesn’t appreciate what they get for free, Tom.

5 Likes