Why is my aircraft pitching up while cruising? From EGLL-YPPH

Adding on that’s why their engines have like a -5° angle to make them more efficient:)

No, using the proper trim, just makes you fuel efficient, from what i’ve found out flying

Trim has no affect on your fuel burn or efficiency, you can go to any trim setting and you’ll have the same range/endurance

Trim, while it may not seem like it makes much of a difference, can improve the range of an aircraft, especially on longer flights.

Ultimately, it reduces the control pressure of keeping the aircraft in level flight which will help keep an efficient fuel burn. I usually trim until the pink line goes away and adjust during different phases of the flight. This works very well for me!

@Josh_Suarez Sorry but you’d be wrong. I have this problem in every plane I fly in IF except for the 757 and CRJ and ERJ families. Adding flaps is the only way to fix this problem in IF. Trim doesnt do much other decrease fuel efficiency. This problem is perfectly normal @David_A . Just use flaps 20

That’s not correct actually- I only do flights that are 17-20 hours long and I’ve experimented thouroughly with ways to improve performance. Trim has no affect on your range or endurance. You can go to +100 or -100 or anything in between and you’ll end up with the same fuel flow.

2 Likes

Point 2 and point 5

I’ve already gone over this with Deercrusher since he made that tutorial. I asked him to experiment with different trim settings and his fuel flow didn’t change. I’m not sure why those are still on there.

You’d be right but the problem is that you’re just gonna waste more fuel in cruise if you use flaps to fix something that’s just aesthetically unpleasant. The use of flaps enroute is prohibited in most airlines and that is very common for most airlines because using flaps does increase your fuel burn for any airplane you fly. Flaps should only be used for takeoff, approach and landing and in some cases when needed to preflight or de-ice on the ground

Thank you! At Least someone apart from me has noticed this.

Trim in IF has a primary use of just making manual handling easier when your calibration is messed up. It will NOT increase your fuel efficiency because the "trim in IF will set the vertical stabilizer to a position (when no pink line is visible) that the stabilizer would be in if the trim were 0."

In simple words, the aerodynamics don’t change with the use of trim (in IF).

2 Likes

You can try to set more cargo weight in your forward hold compared to your aft hold. It’s what I do. (Typically a difference of 2000-4000 lbs)

In IF you can probably get away with it, but I’m the real world you would get structural damage and possibly loose control if you were to extend flaps in cruise.

In the real world, being out of trim would increase fuel burn. Doesn’t sound like this is modeled in IF, though.

It is normal for a passenger jet to cruise with a 3-4 degree nose up attitude. More than that would mean you are too high for your current weight (or possibly cruising too slow. In the flight levels you should cruise at Mach .78 - .85 depending on type)

2 Likes

Why do you do that? They don’t model the difference between the front and rear cargo holds. Adding weight to either increases your pitch attitude.

Unfortunately that’s the only effective way to reduce pitch attitude. It even improves range/endurance in IF.

Exactly^^ People don’t realize that trimming and recalibrating are essentially the same thing
I.e neither will have an effect while on AP

That’s why I do it. It helps prevent the nose from shooting up on the climb, keeps the nose lower or sometimes even level during cruise, and it really doesn’t affect your pitch at landing at all. At least it doesn’t for me, bu that’s probably because I’m used to it.

It doesn’t matter which hold you put weight in though. For example putting 2000lb in the forward with 2000lb in the aft is the same as putting 4000lb in either.

Why do you want the nose level at 0 degrees pitch? Some aircrafts are most efficient when they are pitched up 1-3 degrees up. That’s just how they are designed in real life as well.

I believe they are trying to fix this issue and I’ve had it happen as well especially with 747-8 wobbles side to side unless I apply flaps to 10 and it levels out does perfect ! Best of luck and Happy Flying !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.