Why flagging shouldn't be done nonchalantly

Flagging on this forum has taken a turn from deleting unnecessary comments to deleting opinions that are not offensive to anyone that you don’t agree with and flagging because you do not like a person.

Everyone has different opinions for each other, and you have to get used to it. If you can’t stand someone else’s opinion on an online gaming forum, then you will have a hard time in the real world. Consider this a lesson that you will find people that don’t agree with you, and it is customary to respect that. The only exception is when someone has an opinion that can be potentially offensive to someone. This includes racism, the offensive stereotypes, etc.

Secondly, flagging something because you don’t like someone is very immature. If you don’t like someone, you don’t spam-flag them (That accomplishes absolutely nothing). Try working out your problems with the person via PM or ignore the person altogether. No need to flag something, especially if it is a productive and/or intelligent post.

Something to keep in mind: When you flag posts, they appear in the mods’ PM boxes. Having to sort through all those flags takes a while, and it diminishes the reponse time to something that actually needs to be flagged. Also, if you are spam-flagging because you hate someone, you are inconveniencing two parties (The mods and the person you hate) because of your selfish desire to get some “benefit” out of spam-flagging.

So, before flagging make sure you are flagging for only the reasons specified and if you are putting something under the “Others” column, please make it something wirth responding to.

Don’t waste the mods time, flag correctly.

Disclaimer: Not a mod. I’m someone who wants to fix some issues here

12 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

Agreed. But also keep in mind that tagging mods and/or replying to say ‘mods please close/edit/etc’ is not a good alternative. This when when flagging /should/ be used.

I think flagging shouldnt be allowed in the first place. Its kind of annyoing not even for immature people. People flag topics that could have a great discusdion. For example i created a topic about co-pilots in multiplayer. People flagged and sayed it was duplicate. Then someone said the same exact thing and everyone was happy thinking the same idea i said and everybody was happy but when i did they were angry???nobody bothered to flag his post

1 Like

I agree with you. Every single topic created is very instresting. Thank god we don’t have those annoying trolls.

I guess a flag button needs to be there because a mod doesn’t work 24 hours. And also to keep IF community a better place.

Well it is against the rules to make a duplicate topic so the flaggers have a point…

1 Like

The flag is meant to be used instead of replying in the thread and pretending to be a mod yourself. Use it.

Love rules

Sarcasm is not allowed on these forums. Neither is humour or questioning the higher ups.

2 Likes

You’re misunderstanding my point: Flagging is fine, as long as it isn’t misused as explained above.

2 Likes

Oh we do. And the ones that have been banned have been replaced by new ones. Whether they’re the same person under a different account or not or whether they’re someone new is up for debate. But as soon as the old ones were banned, new ones have come.

1 Like

My last reply has been removed as spam hahaha. What the…

Yes, this is a prime example of the problem.

Although the message was technically off topic (Not that I flagged it as off topic), flagging as spam is not appropriate.

I would reply but I’m scared of being flagged

Flagged doesn’t mean deleted. Behind false or illogical flags are reasonable moderators that actually verify if a flag is valid :)

Yeah but then he made the same topic i did. Doesnt that make it duplicate