Why doesn’t southwest fly to Canada?

Hi everyone!

Just the other day I realized something that I had never thought about before: Southwest doesn’t fly to any destinations in Canada. They have many international routes to Mexico, Central America, and the carribean, but not to Canada. Does anyone know why this is? It seems like a market they’re missing out on. Do you think southwest will fly to Canada in the future?

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered about that. I’ve come to the conclusion that southwest does not really want to compete in that market with WestJet.

2 Likes

It does seem like the market is not that big as Westjet is focusing on Long Hauls.

2 Likes

Yes that makes sense. You’d think that they would at least offer winter routes to destinations in Canada (like ski destinations) that their us customers would take

1 Like

Yeah. It is quite strange and Southwest is not open about it.

1 Like

They ended the code share though. Right?

1 Like

Lmao jk you’re right

1 Like

Article was old, I forgot that Southwest doesn’t even codeshare with anyone anymore I think…

Oh never mind

Southwest’s main focus for the couple years was Hawaii, and extending service south. Gary Kelly (CEO) has expressed interest in entering Canadian airspace, but right now they want to continue with their Hawaii expansion before they get their feet wet into new territory. Canada is on the list though, alongside Alaska and Europe.

4 Likes

It will be interesting to see if they enter the Canadian market in 5-10 years once they fully establish Hawaii

It’s also interesting that Southwest plans to fly out of Baltimore only to Canada, but are awaiting the completion of new gates in the international concourse. Once that has completed, and the MAX issue has dimmed, Canada and Europe is a huge possibility for Southwest

Article for reference: https://www.gototravelgal.com/southwest-airlines-canada/

1 Like

In a way, JetBlue and Spirit follow a similar model of flying into Mexico/Caribbean/Central America.

Notably, Spirit flies to Plattsburgh, NY, which is advertised as “Montreal”

2 Likes

Because its Southwest. Obviously they avoid the Canada because it’s north, smh.

9 Likes

Obviously it’s not that hard to understand. 😒

It’s just a discussion 🤷‍♂️

I believe its just not worth it to them.Southwest usually doesn’t like major airports, and if they were to operate to a major city like Toronto,Vancouver, or Montreal they would probably want a secondary airport.To my knowledge, I don’t know any secondary airports near those cities that would be a suitable option.Plus majority of airlines flying there, there’s just too much competition.You’ll also notice most US-Canada flights are not operated by large aircraft…I majority of the time seem them operated within the CRJ900-A321 range,rarely will i see a 767 operating (AC CYZ-MCO).So overall it would really just be a bad gamble that could cost Southwest some money if things were to go wrong.

1 Like

Toronto’s secondary airport is CYTZ I believe.

2 Likes

With a 3,900 ft runway and an airport meant for Q400s and is slot restricted, I don’t see that happening.

1 Like

Primarily for regional turboprop aircraft.Southwest Has 737’s.
Suitable

1 Like