Why does X airline not fly into X airport?

The title hopefully explains it clearly, but why doesn’t JetBlue fly A321’s into LGA or other airports like it that are capable to handle these aircraft? What other airlines do this that you can think of?

3 Likes

It’s not usually a matter of “airports being capable to handle aircraft”, but really a matter of routes and demand… they probably fly smaller planes so they can have more flights a day and they can keep the capacity closer to full so they can charge more.

You probably see the JetBlue’s A321’s flying out of JFK - that’s a JetBlue hub so that’s where they concentrate the passengers to justify using a larger aircraft :-).

25 Likes

Commercial logistic are a big factor as well…

6 Likes

Maybe codeshare agreements with connections that depart big airports

1 Like

Passenger demand, competition, codeshare agreements, route length, aircraft / pilot hubs, aircraft availability, landing fees increase for larger aircraft… plenty of reasons

2 Likes

codeshare* ;)

2 Likes

Why doesn’t Delta fly 737s into Burbank?

1 Like

It really depends on many things. Agreements between the airline and airport, demand, etc.

3 Likes

Why doesn’t any international airline fly into Kansas City if it is called Kansas City international? (there is a Mexican charter out of MCI though but I mean like 747’s or triple 7’s

3 Likes

I think this might help; another great video by Wendover Productions

3 Likes

8 Likes

All I know is Air Koryo doesn’t fly into Incheon even though its Korean

1 Like

Because North and South Korea are basically sworn enemies

Incheon-Pyongyang probably doesn’t have any demand at all. They focus on demand rather than local routes. Airlines would fly a domestic route with no demand.

2 Likes

Technically, Louisville could have a 747, but the demand isn’t there. They put planes where they can fill them, not where they work.

Feel the sarcasm bro

As people have said EGKK can handle the A380 but BA don’t use it there even though it’s one of their hubs flying to their A380 capable airports such as JFK because it is more beneficial for them to have two 777’s one in the morning and one in the evening than one A380 as it will get them more revenue.

1 Like

Haha, right you are :)

this may help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.