Why does the Avro RJ100 have 4 engines?

I have seen a few of these and thought wow why did they need 4 engines for a shorthaul aircraft?

1 Like

Because 4 engines simply look better than two on that plane. Just kidding, I have no idea at all.
But it definitely has nothing to do with range.

6 Likes

The aircraft must need them as they dint add more engines then are needed to waste airlines money in fuel costs, most likely the obvious reason because that’s how many engines are needed for it to fly as each engine may bit produce enough power. I’m not sure though so I would wait for a expert to tell you :)

3 Likes

Where’s Laurens when you need him?

1 Like

Lol. Exactly what I was thinking.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Yeah, such as at full power maybe each one gives off 25%ish?

5 Likes

1 Like

After I’ve done some research, the most plausible answer I found was that back in the day the engines were not producing enough thrust to design this aircraft as a twin.

PS: Google is a helpful tool

7 Likes

The Avro RJ100 was first designed with two engines. But the engineers decided to use four engines to ensure excellent takeoff performances from short runways, even when it gets hot and high. Therefore, the RJ100 is perfectly adapted to very short runways.

4 Likes

The second one telling me this today.
I am aware that he left.

I thought someone would get the joke in it.
Yeah, whatever.

Back on topic

1 Like

I don’t even think there’s any topic left lel

Your question has been answered.

Gone. He’s now an Anonymous account. @anon93380253 if I can recall.

1 Like

Oh DJ… :P

When the aircraft was designed, 2 high power engines were very loud! So they decided to use 4 lower power, quieter engines!

6 Likes