Why does the Airbus A300 have a yoke?

Why does the Airbus a300 have a yoke and the rest of the Airbus aircrafts have a sidestick

The sidestick was a design that came about along with the new fly-by-wire technology of the A320 in the late 1980’s. The physical leverage of a yoke was no longer needed for flight control cables. The older designs of the A300 and A310 series planes from the 70’s and 80’s have conventional yoke flight controls.

15 Likes

Because it’s old. Simple.

4 Likes

Because we live in the 21st century.

4 Likes

It was Airbus’ first jet.

1 Like

The a310 has a yoke tooo

1 Like

It was created as a shortened version to the A300. It is basically part of the same family.

1 Like

I think you mean shortened? Also to answer the question older planes used hydrolics, and fly by wire was not invented until later times,or at least not implemented into airliners.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I had typed in but the edit didn’t save properly.

2 Likes

Thing is flying commercially is more paper work than anything, the amount of “on control” time is limited. When your in the cruise and doing your regular fuel checks its nice to have that room and tray table right in front of you to do the calculations and eat ;). But On landing I still prefer the good old yoke!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.