Why does the 777 make that sound

Lately on my life I’ve seen the Boeing 777-300ER making a sound when it lands below I have a video to explain what I am trying to say

Video credits:SpeedBirdHD
Watch the first 30 seconds of the video
3 Likes

Could you link a time stamp on the video? I’m not really sure what you’re talking about

Yep I have done that

I should suspect that’s just the engines

It is the engines doing that… it sounds as if the pilot is starting to pull back power but then adds some more power on causing the engines to make that sound as it starts to spin again…you can hear that on the 777 as it takes off when they start to add power

Didnt ser what engines they were but I’m guessing that the engine type as something to do with the sounds it makes when adding on more power

2 Likes

The engines are GE90-115B engines

Are you thinking the sound of the thrust reversers? The engine might start to spool up again if the pilots require more than idle reverse to stop

1 Like

the sound of the engines crying as they return from the freedom of the sky to this wretched earth.

3 Likes

The exact reason of these noises aren’t unknown by manufacturer.

I’ll head you to the king of these, the Airbus A220 :

When they are taking off from rwy 04 at Geneva, they are about 4.5km away from my room but I still can hear the engines doing that sound when the windows are open.

2 Likes

are we talking about the whining kind of noise here? = hydraulic demand pump.

1 Like

You wouldn’t be able to hear those from the outside.
As for the OP’s question it’s just the pilot increasing the thrust in order to maintain final approach speed. (Unless you’re hearing something I can’t)

1 Like

As mentioned @airjonathan1you won’t be able to hear those (if they were hydraulics) from 4 km away.

And Prat & Whitney are aware of this (sort of) problem.

1 Like

Must be the engines crying then. It’s the only logical explanation @Q-ENAN

1 Like

Engine thrust sounds. Perfectly normal.

You retard the thrust levers completely during the flare then, after touchdown and deployment of the spoilers, you pull the thrust reversers, the thrust reverser doors unlock, hydraulically deploy and then the thrust comes back on to provide braking. Many passengers believe the thrust of the engine actually ‘reverses’ which isn’t true. The axial flow remains the same however the resultant jet flow is given a forward vector by the thrust reverser door reversing the energised flow of the cold bypass section only. Other systems use clams or pop out flaps (CFM)

So, throttle down to idle, throttle up to thrust reverse brake, idle or full depending on conditions, performance and runway length.

Decel toward turn off speed, select reverse idle when stopping is assured (normally idle reverse only below 60kts as to avoid sucking rubbish into the donks), forward idle as you taxy off the runway.

Engine cooldown is 3 minutes after selection of reverse for a GE and 1 minute for a Roller.

3 Likes

Wow, good! The B777 is great airplane, the update in sound of airplanes is good idea

LOL! I accidentally thought you were calling someone a retard! Woops! 😂

2 Likes

Ah! The delights of minor mis-interpretation. :D

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.