Why does KORD not have any Departure procedure?

KORD doesn’t have departure procedures

2 Likes

In real life they don’t have any they only use vectors.

3 Likes

Yes, though is there any specified reason of why? I would also like to know.

It might seem weird KORD only have vectors but you can probably search up the answer.

One big reason being the amount of traffic that ORD and MDW conduct. Since they are so close, it would be hard to plan some of those procedures because of the volume of traffic. Both Midway and O’Hare don’t have any departure procedures.

4 Likes

@Joseph007 great explanation some days the traffic isn’t bad so it makes sense for shorter vectors but other days it can be heavy traffic. The traffic also changed during the day. As yesterday I was spotting and a plane didn’t land for an hour at KORD.

2 Likes

Yes this could be certain times during the day. But think about peak season and not having any COVID delays or cancellations. Last summer I could look outside and see plane after plane inbound from Europe into O’Hare on the WYNDE1 arrival.

2 Likes

Simply put not every airport has published SID and STAR. Sometimes with the traffic load having multiple controllers is better than published procedures.

1 Like

True I live right under the Janesville 9 and even before all this it was that way in the off season maybe not an hour though.

1 Like

what’s sad is that KORD used to have airplanes landing NONSTOP until the evening before covid-19, now from 10-11 am you’ll have like 7 planes land in that hour it feels weird now…

2 Likes

Midway does have departure procedures, but they aren’t RNAV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.