Why does everyone try to use a Runway 27L/09R at EGLL?

In training server. I know it’s a silly question, but I’m curious if there’s any reason to do so.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe your question resembles a situation that often happens in KLAX. Why do most only use runway 25R in LAX? It’s unexplainable for me. 😅

6 Likes

I think its based on a feeling, that more gates at EGLL have shorter access to 27L/09R… thats the gut feeling I atleast have.

Also the queuing effect: people tend to gather there where is activity. Why take off straight away on 27R, when you can queue with 3 aircrafts ahead of you and spot the aircrafts landing on 27L.

4 Likes

less taxiing more convenient

2 Likes

Not sure about the game but in real life Heathrow using Left and Right runway according to time of the day to not bother the residents with airplane sounds when it’s time to sleep.

If you want to know more aobut Heathrow Runway Alteration, check this official chart.

2 Likes

For me in IF, I always try to use the rwy closest to where I’m arriving from.

For example, if I’m flying north to EGLL, then I’ll always plan to arrive on the southerly rwy 09R/27L. I’ll also always plan to arrive on this rwy if I’m flying freight, as the cargo apron is on the southern side of the airfield.

1 Like

Ooo thanks

you don’t consider wind when choosing a runway? Just curious

1 Like

yes you do.

1 Like

I absolutely do. I should have clarified, Using the example of EGLL, that’s my decision making process to choose between rwy 09R/27L and 09L/27R. The wind will absolutely determine whether I’m operating on the 09 end or the 27 end.

4 Likes

A lot of poeple treat IF as game that’s why they do whatever they want, but if you treat it as a simulator then you should simulate real life airport procedure. For example in LAX, 25R n 24L is for departure only and 25L n 24R is arrival most of the time. Even Cargo takeoff on 25r even though cargo terminal is next to runway 25L.

1 Like

When I open KLAX on the Expert Server, everybody who is in the cargo area keeps asking for 25L and I don’t give it to them because it messes up my departure rhythm. Why not just go 35 more feet ahead and takeoff normally like everybody else? Especially when in the ATIS I set 25R/24L for deps and 25L/24R for arrivals.

1 Like

@AviationChampion You know how we all can fix issues like that? Make them look on SkyVector or FlightAware for IFR charts! Most arrivals from the east basically say ‘Expect 25L unless advised by ATC’ - people just need to get on their phones or computers and look for charts, they are right there in plain sight!

1 Like

You’re gonna force people who are trying to have fun on a mobile flight simulator to search up formal IFR charts and read them so they can get a runway right?

Good luck.

3 Likes

At least in the expert server, they have to follow your instructions or you can give them a violation. In the training server, poeple think it’s free for all,and most don’t get the concept. Following atc instructions is training. Sometimes when I’m doing atc and they request 25R n I instruct them to land 25L they reply unable, how hard it is to move over, the runways r parallel to each other lol

1 Like

That’s the issue I have. I shouldn’t have to deny them for 25L if they know in the ATIS that it says 25R for departure.

1 Like

Unfortunately, people will be people and this will never just ‘stop’. :)

3 Likes

But it needs to stop.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say need. Pilots will be pilots and can perfectly request something against the ATIS, I have done this in the real world many times whilst flying to practise tailwind landings, engine failures, and various procedures under full ATC control.

As a controller, it is entirely the controller’s decision on what to do. It’s exactly the same if they request the runway in or not in the ATIS, you’d give them the exact command “Taxi to runway XX” and they have to work around you :)

4 Likes

Yeah, but that’s real life. When it comes to a simulator, it gets quite annoying when I give them 25R and they repeatedly say “Standby” and then try to get 25L again.

1 Like