Why Does Everyone Hate Eurowhite?

Within the community, I’ve found that a major consensus is that eurowhite liveries aren’t as appreciated as more colorful ones. For those who don’t know, eurowhite is a type of livery on an airplane that is primarily white, with a few splashes of color on the engines and/or tail. Some airlines have switched their primary liveries to eurowhite to freshen them up. One of the most recent examples is Aer Lingus.
AerLingus%20A330
aer%20lingus
In my opinion, these updates make older liveries look fresh and attractive. However, some don’t share this sentiment. Is there an explanation? Or is it just that people have grown attached to older liveries and hate to see them go?

Some other examples:
Iberia
6482854289_c46675101e_o-e1530028812492-720x340
iberia
Air Canada

Fun fact: although it’s called eurowhite, it actually originated in the United States with Air West.

3 Likes

I, in my opinion, like the colorful paint designs, but I think it depends on the carrier. For instance, I think the new eurowhite design used by Aer Lingus replacing the old green looks sharp. But in the case of Iberia, I kind of like the older red and orange or yellow (I’m a bit colorblind, so not sure if it’s yellow or orange). Either way, I think it depends on the old schemes.

1 Like

It’s just preference. But if I’m being honest I would say the air canada and Iberia new liveries look nice but I’m not to sure about Aerlingus and don’t get me wrong I love Aerlingus but I feel like I’m just so used to all the green. It really stood out at an airport and brought out the Irish feel. Now its just copying other planes looks and doesn’t really stand out. It won’t be as easy to spot the livery at an airport and white is very bland

I think that the air canada livery looked a lot better before, although the new one is growing on me I would like it more if it’s didn’t have that mask around the cockpit windows

2 Likes

When they did this I honestly figured they were about to announce an A350 deal and they didn’t want the 350 to look different, but I guess not… 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

I think the livery would look so much better without the mask. I am also hoping they keep some aircraft in the toothpaste like livery as a heritage fleet but we will see

1 Like

It’s LAZY. Sure, it’s a refresh, but it’s too minimalist. It’s practically painting the entire plane white. They all look the same except for the little section on the tail. It’s ugly, it’s bare, and it’s a disgrace to me when an airline ruins their brand by adopting a Eurowhite livery.

I’ve heard multiple reasonings behind it. The primary I’ve heard has to do with temperature and structural stressing. White reflects heat better than a fancy paint scheme, and that’s less stressful on an airframe especially when you think about pressurizing it multiple times a day. There’s plenty of evidence that backs it up

2 Likes

I’ve also heard stories that white is easier for birds to see and avoid, it’s easier for spotting maintenance issues (i.e. leaking oil/hydraulic fluid or airframe issues), and a white paint scheme is always cheaper to pay for. I believe AA also made the change from their old aluminum to white because the 787 is made of composites and they wanted their fleet to match

3 Likes

Its not just ugly it really says a lot about an airline not caring to stand out and just be bland. I think that Eurowhite livery airlines really start to put out a blander product. Eurowhite has been around for a while but only just less dull. Now the only part of the aircraft that seems to be painted anything creative as the tails and maybe a solid color engine. The balance in Eurowhite is gone with creativity and simplicity. Now it is just paint it white and change the color of the tail which shows how much the airline puts in effort to stand out and put out a better product.

I agree, although your point still plays into the fact that cabin pressurization/stressing is an issue. The tail and engines aren’t affected by paint since they aren’t pressurized. I think airlines could definitely get more creative with their liveries, but money is the bottom line when it comes to any business

True it would really come down to how much money you could make off of a livery versus how much it costs. I think for a lot of the airlines out there that should be quality driven airline such as Lufthansa, etc they should be focused on brand image, which is what is a major selling point for most people nowadays sadly. When you ruin an iconic image for one that really turns into something less than stellar you just hurt your brand and the cost of changing your livery increases.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.