Why does East Hampton Town Hate their Airport So Much?

So, why does East Hampton hate it’s airport? It seems like a good idea, the only road out to the Hamptons is a skinny 2 lane road. The only issue is the noise. Residents claim that the noise is unbearable. Many want to close the airport. Just because of the noise. Since 2001 The facilities are required to be open for public use and comply with the federal “Airport and Noise Capacity Act”, which limits the town’s ability to control airport operations. It’s a busy General Aviation Airport. With 9000 flights during the summer months. The airport does contain louder aircraft, including fixed wing and private jets, but the airport contains essential aircraft. East Hampton does not have a hospital, just a clinic. East Hampton airport houses Med-Evac aircraft. These aircraft will fly during medical emergencies, to a Hospital miles down the island.

So, what’s happening now? East Hampton Airport may be closed for good. In September of this year East Hampton Town will get control over its airport. Either shutting it for good, or adding extreme noise ambient procedures. The Airport has tried to tell its residents the advantages of having the airport, including supporting local businesses, and showing how big of an economical change the airport provides. Change will come to the airport, only time will tell what that change will be.

Photo originally found in NY Times

22 Likes

Noise? I don’t see one house in the near vicinity of the airport. I get aircraft approaches and stuff, but everyone can hear a plane fly over, even if it is miles in the sky. It’s not like the the sound of plane is always there.

4 Likes

This is happening to Santa Monica (KSMO) too. Not noise, per se, but it’s being shut down to create space for a parking lot.

Nice topic, Sasha.

Probably disguised by the trees in the picture, on google maps there’s a bunch of houses surrounding HTO.

3 Likes

What bothers me is always the fact that residents move to towns such as East Hampton, and then complain about the sound.
On the other hand, I’ve been to HTO during the summer and it’s rather busy sometimes, but nothing that would personally warrant a complaint. The private jets are sort of loud but not unbearably loud. Maybe that is only because I’m an avgeek and also grew up right next to JFK…

3 Likes

Where I live on LI (not near the Hamptons), in the summer months every weekend there is helicopter or seaplane noise up above us almost every minute. I live under a flight path that the helicopters and seaplanes take shuttling people from Manhattan to HTO. The noise stinks sometimes!

1 Like

I bet. JFK has its own complaints too

1 Like

If you don’t like noise, you shouldn’t live next to an airport. They brought this on themselves for moving there.

Just deal with it and quit complaining about the airport that you chose to live by.

5 Likes

I think what’ll end up happening is a battle between the rich summer residents who wants the airport and the year round residents who can’t stand it

In a way I do feel for these people. There are lots of fighter jets and C208 caravans that fly over me and I sometimes find them to be really annoying. So I do feel for them.

1 Like

Oh yes. I agree I know that too 😅😒

1 Like

Its probably all the rich and famous complaining 🤣

1 Like

Eh, I’d say it’s the other way around. The rich and famous are the ones using the airport to get to/from the Hamptons. While the year-round residents of the Hamptons aren’t poor, most of them are still pretty well-off, but most of them are not ultra-rich. The year-round residents are the ones doing the complaining.

2 Likes

Ahh ok. I just knew the Hampton area as where all the celebrities etc go to for the summer. I don’t live in the us so I’m not sure

1 Like

Hey, I wouldn’t be one of the ones complaining. I grew up down the road under the approach path of KFOK, and always loved the noise. Then again, AvGeek gonna AvGeek

1 Like

It’s not like the airports are new or traffic has exponentially increased in the past few years either. You move near an airport, what do you expect?

1 Like

Actually the approach to 28 in the summer is a near constant stream of Gulfstreams, Challengers, Globals, and Falcons, from the early morning to late at night, which all fly over the towns of East Hampton and Amagansett.
Personally I don’t mind it, but I can see why some NIMBYs hate it, especially since it’s all private aviation and really has no positive effects on the 99%.

1 Like

womanyellingcat-1573233850

1 Like

At the end of the day this is the most true statement of all. If you don’t want to hear airport noise constantly, you should have considered that when you moved.

1 Like

Love that NY times is not paying attention to its own name