Why do planes not stall if engines cut of mid flight?

if you were to be in a situation where all the engine’s cut off, maybe because of a fuel shortage, why doesn’t the plane go in a stall but rather glides a relatively long way? Would they pull out all the flaps immediately or what do they do to prevent it from stalling? (assuming you’re at cruising altitude)

(apparently i cant post this in the real world aviation category, sorry about that)

3 Likes

thats a very good question maybe if its something to do with the physics between it not to sure @Thijs0106

from what i know of, they glide because of all their forward motion, which in time gives you the chances to try and restart your engines, and find a place to land. flaps might help, but it is easier to not extend them

1 Like

Well the aircraft wouldn’t stall since it would still have enough air speed to begin gliding down. When the engines stop, the aircraft still has speed, it doesn’t just stop moving due to momentum. Flaps are not used since they increase drag and decrease air speed

5 Likes

sounds logically to me

For example if a planes if traveling a speed of M.78 and has an engine failure the speed doesn’t automatically start falling to stall speed, which in that case the pilot lowers the nose and starts gilding the plane to safety.

fair enough but lets say were at 38.000 feet, there will be a point that you reach a stall speed before your at a relatively low altitude right?

When ur going down, speed rises

No, you can pull down the nose to increase or maintain speed

Probably not because you are moving down. Watch a space shuttle video those explain it

fair enough

When you’re gliding at a certain angle, you will have the same airspeed all the way down. Gravity pulls you down, so if you point the nose a bit down some of the forces of gravity are conversed into speed, even without engines. Only when flying level you will lose speed.
Maybe try it out on solo!

1 Like

Here’s a video. The space shuttle lands with no active engines. I get ur landing from space but it gives you a general idea

4 Likes

ive seen those but i dont think you’ll see an a380 go -10.000 ft/p going down ;)

When they lose their engines they do. It’s called emergency descent

that extreme?, woah

Maybe not 10000 vs but they go down fast. That’s how they keep speed

I recommend searching on YouTube for emergency decent procedures since they will be experts explaining

fair enough, i would’t wanna be onboard one of those

thank you, will do