Why do planes get water salutes?

I sometimes see some flights getting water salutes. What is the reason for this and why does it only happen on certain flights?
Thanks

2 Likes

It’s for special events like an inaugural flight or a pilot’s retirement, something special or something like that. But there may be more reasons I don’t know about.

I’m sure some of you know Jürgen Raps, the A380 he was piloting on got a water salute because it was his last flight before he retired.

8 Likes

But isn’t it a waste of water?

Idk 🤷🏻‍♂️

But it’s done neverless.

4 Likes

If you want to get into specifics you technically can’t waste water. But because of the water shortage in California, I believe they use fire retardant instead. Or they don’t do them at all. It’s a celebration thing, I wouldn’t call it a waste of water :)

Considering that the water pours into drains afterwards, and then is recycled… I wouldn’t call it a waste.

5 Likes

Fire retardant has a lot of environmental hazards associated with it, so they use it very sparingly, only when needed, like a fire for example… 😂

5 Likes

@Philippe_Gilbert It’s like asking “aren’t fireworks a waste of gunpowder?”

5 Likes

im in California and can confirm they use heavy recycled water as ive heard. Then they reuse it again or something

1 Like

It’s a tradition that basically stems back to the inaugural debuts of ocean liners, usually in New York but can happen anywhere else.

8 Likes

I believe also one of the reasons they do a water salute is when an airline switches a specific aircraft that operated a route to a bigger aircraft or just another one in general. (They don’t always do this though)

That being said… when one stops to think about it, it is physically and ecologically impossible to waste water. ALL water, dirty or otherwise, will one day be cleaned either by nature or us and be consumed and used for any specific purpose. Then the cycle will start all over again. 😜

1 Like

well is human liquid waste (you know what im talking about) is water? Cause its not really water at that point. Biology on a flight sim forum, amazing

JetFuel Salutes! Once the spray is complete, someone lights fireworks and firecrackers! What a good idea!

2 Likes

Right, matter cannot be created nor destroyed!

1 Like

It is water. It’s just dirty water that doesn’t belong in our body. So we release it. And I can bet you anything that the water you drank today, or any day during the week, was at one point in time expelled by a dinosaur. It’s just simple ecology. 😁😜

Now re-read that in George Carlin’s voice. 🤪

@Philippe_Gilbert, in case you are interested, here is a video Captain Joe made on the topic. Very Informative!

When it comes to the whole “wasting water” thing, technically, because of the water cycle we never lose water it just changes form…gets evaporated and comes back to us as rain.

6 Likes

r/TIHT, it’s a subreddit

1 Like

This ended last year ;)

1 Like