Why do people hold short like this?

Why doesn’t he taxi to the end of the runway? Is there a reason? You can takeoff on the threshold but you cant land on it so why doesn’t he taxi down there and use it for takeoff?

6 Likes

That technically is the end of the runway. That’s where you should take off from.

3 Likes

Since he has a bigger aircraft and the runway at KSAN is fairly short, I would recommend him go all the way to the end so he has full runway for takeoff

4 Likes

Shouldn’t all jetliners go to the end? You are aloud to use the threshold for takeoff so why not?

2 Likes

Because it means going further.

6 Likes

Yea but isn’t it realistic to go all the way down. I mean might as well dump full flaps and take off mid-runway.

1 Like

Nah, get on the runway quick. Faster xp and more of a challenge. See if you can get off the end of the runway short without getting a speeding ticket.

1 Like

A lot of people think they need to take off from the piano keys and don’t understand there is more usable runway behind it.

12 Likes

But you can’t use that part for landing so I thought the part before the threshold can’t be used for takeoff.

I personally think the threshold is only for taxiing until the DER (Departure End Runway) then you start to roll of once you reach the piano keys… There’s still that little difference there :)

Yeah I don’t get why people do that either… they do that at LAX runway 25R too!

1 Like

At KSAN you use the threshold no matter what plane you’re in, especially in a 747.

1 Like

No they are at KSAN sometimes.

1 Like
2 Likes

So after searching YouTube lol, the proper procedure used at KSAN is to go to the very end of rwy 29. Saw a piper, a Dash Q400 and 737 take off from the very end.

Is it really going to hurt to wait 20 sec for him to take off…?

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yea I realized… Was doing the lmgtfy then I realized you removed your post but I decided to keep it there for the convenience anyway xD

No. The area behind the threshold is useable for take-off (unless it is a blast pad with yellow markings).

5 Likes
5 Likes