Why do airlines use the Crj's and Embraers?

Due to contract issues, major carriers like United, Delta, and American are allow to offer significantly less benefits and pay to regional pilots. It’s more profitable for the airline.

The E175 and CRJ900 Fall in the scope clause.

In the US, the use of both aircraft types concurrently is most likely due to the subcontracted airlines e.g Skywest and Envoy, operating the CRJ700 and E175 respectively.

It also has to do with the reason that AA retired the E190s(that’s another topic).

@JulianB remember that the E190s can fly into London-City while the CRJ900s are unable to.

2 Likes

Very true and good points @Kiz! Thanks!

1 Like

Each has their benefits. The Ejet can serve as more of a mainstream airliner due to slightly better range and passenger comfort while the CRJ can fly to airports with less ground service due to its low stance as well as its built in air stairs.

extremely good point.

I would think they also take into consideration the destinations of the planes they intended to purchase, like making sure the plane can land safely, fit the taxi ways, terminals etc.

True the crj can use smaller ramps but needs a larger runway.

If you know why these jets, then I can tell you: I think it’s always the choice of airlines. It also depends on which routes, how much capacity and how many flights there are. There are routes that are flown several times a day. If you see the demand is spread over the whole day, small planes are used to save costs. You are also economical and can fly to smaller airports. Of course there are also routes in which a larger aircraft is needed.

I hope you realized that. But if you ask why Embrear and not called Crj or Mitsubishi Crj. Then I can tell you it’s like Airbus and Boeing. This is done to get a good price. This will create a competition that will automatically lower prices.

Thanks for the feedback. Btw what do you want the next topic to be about?

Here is an article that covers certain points of the debate over CRJ vs. Embraer: https://airinsight.com/the-e-jet-and-crj-cabins/

Airlines have their hubs and they have cities they fly to. They have flights to both large cities and small cities to connect as many people to their network as possible. Regional jets are a good airplane for the smaller cities, and even though they may not be too fuel efficient, they can fill the airplane, which is why they are actually used.

I know but at smaller city’s there is usually a shorter runway and the crjs take up significantly more ruway than the Erj’s that’s why the E-190 is allowed in london city but the Crj 200 isn’t

Adding on to what @Kevinsoto1502 said, sometimes different airplanes are easier to maintain, like having a CRJ-200 and a CRJ-X. They might be different size, and they might be different to the airlines routing management, however, when they both come in for maintenance, they are both easier to work on simultaneously as they might already have the part necessary.

By the looks of it, the CRJ may be halting in orders, but they also brought out a new rival to the ERJ, the A220 :O

1 Like

True and I would personnally love to fly the a220, that plane is an ecception to the other crjs.

Yes but it is their “sequel” in a way.

Either way both programs were sold off, either to Mitsubishi or to Airbus.

Oh I heard about that! I am still waiting for that great day when I get to fly on the A220 but at the same time I am avoiding the CRJ’s at all cost because of how noisy the cabin is.

Thank you for your post today, we appreciate you being here.

This belongs in the #real-world-aviation category, which requires you to be Trust Level 2 (Member). You are currently Trust Level 1 (Basic). Stay active, like, and post regularly, and you’ll get there in no time. Below are some helpful links to help you get started here on the forum.

Welcome to the Infinite Flight Community

Why have I not reached TL* yet?

Thank you!

Okay sorry bout that.

CRJ’s look way cooler and that’s enough for me

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.