Why do airlines get rid of the A340?

As most people say, I also agree that the reason is simply that there are better options, that are more efficient or just cover the needs of the airlines. I do think the A340 deserves more than what it had, and its a shame that they aren’t longer built, I really do like the A340, one of my favorite planes in IF.

3 Likes

Sadly it is a bit outdated, A 777 has much more range and costs a lot less to operate. The new 787s and A350s are filling the same roles with a much lower cost which is why airlines like LATAM have replaced A340’s with 787s. Out with the old, in with the new!

The A340 is a beautiful plane! We will see them back at DEN soon while the LH flight to Munich up gages for a couple months. There are so few airlines left with them, they feel so rare now!

1 Like

If you think about context, what airlines had to choose at the time(Mid 1990s), they could either choose a B777-200ER or a A340-600.

Regardless on ow awesome they look or how nice they are to fly, which one would you have chosen?

2 Likes

I would have probably gone with the 777-200ER over the A340-300. It uses less fuel and has longer range. Capacity wise, the A343 wins, but running an airline you make the money on first and business class fares, so that would not make much of a difference between the two.

It’s hard to think in the mindset of working for an airline then though. The industry has changed so much since then, and nobody at the A340 operaters like Lufthansa, LAN, South African, Iberia etc. could not have predicted that any better than the 777 flyers like BA, United, American, KLM, ANA etc.

The airlines like Air France or Cathay Pacific seem to have done the best with your question since they got both, and still fly both. We have seen some airlines like Air Canada and Emirates fly both types only to keep the 777 though.

I’ve flown the 777 many times, but never an A340. I would love to should I get the chance!

Interesting question, what would be your answer?

1 Like

Aerolíneas Argentinas is doing that exact same thing. It’s getting rid of their A340, and replacing them with A330. They have a lower maintenance cost and fuel efficiency is much better. Pilots are same for both planes, so there is practically no need of having a 4 engine jet.

3 Likes

That is life, for us it’s either heaven or hill
For planes it’s either scrap or scrap

some time ago, Aerolíneas Argentinas did the transpolar flight route Buenos Aires Auckland (sorry, know it in spanish, vuelo transpolar), that route contained a long path without a landing alternative, that why it required a 4 engine jet so company always had 747 and then A340.

1 Like

There are special cases like that. LAN (now LATAM) used to do the same with an A343 on the SCL-AKL-SYD route until they got the ok to do it with the 787. Air New Zealand flies the 777 to EZE now too!

And as for your translation, you did well! Usually we only say “Transpolar flight” or “Transpolar Route” but you made perfect sense :)

2 Likes

yes! now route is being done by 777 300ER and 787. Hope Aerolineas does it some time again! thanks for the translation, I get dizzy sometimes lol

3 Likes

The A340 is dead because of the 77W completely demolishing the A346 in terms of fuel burn. The rest of the range is decent, but commonality with the 77W drove other sales to Boeing as well. Sorry Airbus, Boeing has won this round.

2 Likes

Safety record means nothing if it isn’t fuel efficient to airlines.

3 Likes

You’re welcome, my friend! I hope they restart the route too, they have such a great livery! :)

2 Likes

let’s hope we see the livery in Infinite Flight too!!!

1 Like

The aircraft is too expensive to run now compared to other modern aircraft with the same capacity and range

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

😶❤️😶😞😶❤️❤️❤️✅✅✅✅✅

2 Likes

Cathay Pacific`s A346 aren’t longer in service.

1 Like

I knew that, but if I’m not mistaken they still have the A340-300.

1 Like

Maybe, I don’t know, what I’m sure about is that almost all airlines did what most of us would have done, choose the 777

1 Like

They still fly the A343, tough the replacement is the A350, and the first one was already delivered

1 Like