Why are my 747 landings always so wobbly?

So hard to get a straight one…

2 Likes

Um Wind? You tilt your device last second, you bounce (Hitting runway to hard) or you don’t have your fuel synchronized, or you’re forgetting to flare🤷🏻‍♂️👍🙂

And before anyone says oh it’s the old
model it’s not… I’ve never had this happen and i fly the 747 frequently.

4 Likes

I’ll definitely look into my fuel data, and that should fix it… thanks

Can you fly now? I can figure it out.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the fuel location isn’t modeled in IF so it must be something else.

1 Like

Uh okay, it is😂 You got Left wing and right wing👍

1 Like

I don’t think fuel is the reason

1 Like

Unrelated: alpha is it your birthday?

1 Like

More then likely wind, would be my guess. As the plane bounces easy if you slam it, once you landed you have to tilt your device against the wind, only if you have the rudder and ailerons turned off, that setting being if you turn your device when on ground your plane will turn as well.

3 Likes

Yes, you have a left and right tank. Just like other aircraft have fore and aft cargo holds. However, the mass distribution doesn’t actually have an effect on the physics.

1 Like

Well it does…
As you can see. I am not moving. And look how slammed the right wing is. And i tried landing on short final and the plane is acting like it would. Try it out on solo. no wind. All fuel to one wing, none to the other and try to land…

If you spawn in without your fuel synced it causes balance issues

2 Likes

Actually, I didn’t change anything, but my ability must’ve just gotten better😂

2 Likes

Do remember that trying to take a screenshot while landing may make the landing worse than it would usually be. I can’t say that I’ve ever had too much trouble landing the 747, and I’ve flown it quite a few times.

3 Likes

It has to be wind, I just tested the 747 by landing it at 16 knots crosswind and I noticed that the 747 is tipping on one side once the nose hits the ground and you let go of the rudder, However, the 747 model really grips to the ground so the 747 won’t move across the runway at all even though it’s still tipped towards one side, the fuel is also synchronized.image

1 Like

Unfortunately it doesn’t, I just landed completely wings level with all the fuel in one wing and none in the other. I wish the cg’s in IF were dynamic but sadly they aren’t…

Another way to demonstrate this is to fly along with half fuel in each tank holding your wings level and then calibrate. Then pause and make put 100% in one and 0% in the other. When you unpause you won’t have to make any adjustments. Then pause again and switch the tanks. You still won’t have to make any adjustments.

1 Like

No i know, but start on a runway, put 100 in one wing 0 in the other. Exit and load back in, one side will be slammed

2 Likes

Hmm I see what you’re saying about exiting… It’s odd that there’s no detectable difference in flight but it must be connected to something.

2 Likes

Yea, but in the case of the OP i believe it had to be wind, the 747 is tricky in winds sometimes 🙂

1 Like

The 747 is prone to roll to one side during crosswind landings.

The construction of the aircraft is the reason for it. First, look at the position of the wing landing gears and the position of the outboard engines. There is a huge weight way outboard under the wings. On top of the wings, also far outboard, you have the large outboard aileron and also the extended ground spoilers with their large surface. The crosswind will as soon as the spoilers deflect press the wings down, one both sides, but the crosswind most of the time comes from above and therefor presses the whole upper wing surface wing down - on the side where the wind comes from more then on the other side.

Combined, the outboard ailerons and spoilers, the weight of the outboard engines and the distance from the these components away from the wing landing gears, make it important to use as less aileron as possible after touch down…think about that the ailerons, after touch down, should be up on the side where the wind comes from…that presses the wing down, then the wind can press the whole wing surface down. When you now start to correct with your control wheel the whole thing starts to roll from left to right.

Additional, the outboard struts are heavier then the inboard ones. Engine 1 and 4 have Air Driven Pumps, they are really heavy. And Engine 4 as an additional AUX AC Pump, even more weight…

How can you see, if a 747 had a hard landing in crosswinds, exceeding the g force limits ?

• The drain mast under the outboard engines …is…gone…

8 Likes

It indeed is the wind. When I land the 747 into heavy winds, I need to move the ailerons just the precise amount to prevent the wings from striking the ground. Move it more, and it will tilt the other way… it’s a really tricky aircraft to land perfectly.

1 Like