Why are landings so hard!

Honestly just learn how to hand fly first. It helps with everything. Practice just getting up to like FL200 in solo (20,000 FT MSL) then just fly without AP. Do some turns and try to keep the little dial at the top between 2 clicks left and right. Try maintaining a certain V speed, then, when your down on final, just do the same thing. Tutorials will help

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid to Ryanair.

1 Like

I used Ryanair for my first landing and I am not afraid to use it again

Speed plays a big factor when landing

1 Like

With all due respect, that’s disturbing. I’d say watch Tutorials on the forums.

1 Like

Just use APPR to line up, then flare.
Essentially, when you get cleared for approach, turn on APPR if you have it, then let it guide you in. But manage your speed, (the 737 is about 150). Turn off approach and flare, but there is a possibility you will glide. Or let APPR flare for you, but the landing is a little harder. You could also check out:

Or landing tutorials: Here

2 Likes

Only reason you should be doing 150 on approach in a 737 is if you are really heavy. I use 135.

4 Likes

Same as real life, landings need practise, you need to make sure you get everything down.

1 Like

Yup, I pack extra fuel in case of a holding pattern or go-around. So 150 works when your heavier.

2 Likes

Excuse my ignorance, but what does this mean?

1 Like

What I did to practice my landings in IF is just I went in solo and did a TON of approaches. Gradually I got better and better. I strongly recommend to do that… It truly does help.

1 Like

It is a really long post so please bear with me.

Many people won’t/didn’t land smoothly on their first try either(if they aren’t pilots in real life). So, here’s what I’d recommend(as some already have): practice in solo mode before moving to live.

Set the winds, turbulence and most of the parameters on zero first (except temperature). Your main focus here is to touch down. Practice with an aircraft of your choice, don’t change or experiment, for now, stick to one and one only with the same weight. I’d recommend the A319/A320/A321 Family to start first if you want a jet. If not, stick with a prop (SR22 maybe?). Personally, I started with the B77W since 2015 (when global wasn’t out and seas looked quite cool).

For discussion’s sake, let’s assume you took a jet. Before you start, (I cannot stress this enough) make sure you know your weight and your speeds. Start at an airport near to the ground. Preferably less than 50ft. Take a look at the Tutorials. One tutorial, one takeoff and one landing (do circuits). Then test yourself every few videos/tutorials and see if you remembered what was said/recommended. If you don’t, come back to it and see it through. Don’t stress yourself and do 10 tutorials a day within 2 hours then try testing yourself on all of it, of course, it takes time so be patient.

Assuming you’ve made it this far (yes I know it’s dry), while still in solo, add a couple of winds of any direction. I’d recommend doing winds (with reference to runway heading), headwind winds 20 deg, 30 deg, 50 deg and then 80 deg. Start with 5 knots and move up 5 knots for every landing you make up to 15 knots (10 knots for 80 deg). Assuming you’re on the B77W and depending on your aircraft’s weight, you want to touch down at 200ft/min to 300ft/min (350ft/min Max for 50 deg winds 15kts). Not too sure about the A320 family’s landing speed(for that you can ask someone else. I’m sure there’s something in the forums for that already). Practice that until you get the desired landing smoothness.

Congrats! You’ve made it this far. Now, try going to live. In Live, weather is live. Traffic is live. Your landings here count. There are radios. Take it easy and treat it like a practice session. Do as you usually do. Take off and do your usual circuit. But make sure you make your radio calls through Unicom, even if nobody is around(before taxi, announce your taxi. before takeoff, announce your takeoff). Assuming you’re at the approach and you realise you’ve made a small mistake, take the corrective actions necessary (speed/altitude/glideslope/localiser). If you are below 700ft already and you have too low or too high a speed/altitude, do a go-around. Try again. Remember that it’s a game. If you landed, exit and go to the replay section and see how you did. You can edit them to make a note for yourself. It creates a small montage for yourself to see, review and learn from past mistakes.

At this point, you can also start flying short-haul routes. (try using Simbrief or other flight planning software). This is when you can practice with different weather…etc. Practice with the same aircraft until you basically can snap your finger and know what speed to roughly land at(this part requires some experimentation). Then, go ahead and move on to other aircraft. Similarly, see the forums for recommended approach speeds for the specific aircraft etc. If not, experiment by doing a circuit again round the airport adding/ reducing a couple of knots for various weights. At this stage, I’d recommend knowing both your MLW approach speeds and your usual landing weight speeds (Again, assuming you’re on the B77W, +/- 5 to 10 tons to your usual landing speed).

I still fly the B77W and never other aircraft for the main reason of knowing my aircraft (Similarly to why airlines train one pilot to one type of aircraft (there are some “crossbreeds” that exist like the A330/A340 but that is a topic for another time)). In fact, I am flying right now (its 0100h (GMT+08)) as Singapore 479 Heavy on the training server, right smack in the middle of the Indian Ocean from FAOR to WSSS.

I know it is a really long post to read through and its gonna take a lot of time for my recommended process that I stated above, but that was the process I went through (except for the tutorials because I am the type to keep experimenting). You can adjust it as you feel fit. Just practice and keep flying. Good Day!

“A good pilot is always learning.” ~Quote by Captain Joe

2 Likes

Ryanair and hard landing. If i fly ryanair I have an excuse for a hard landing.

1 Like

I have did a few successful landings in the time of putting out this post. I also did what you have said to get better. I now have did 6 landing

1 Like

That’s gr8 advice. Thanks very much. Enjoy your flight.

Landings are so hard because of the glideslope and miles of final you are on. Last night, I landed a United A320 in Zephyrhills,FL and the weight of the airplane was easy for it to land.

1 Like

They aren’t if you do it right

1 Like

Really? They’re easy lol.
Tips : try solo short approaches over and over, I know it’ll be boring LOL, but keep doing It.

I’m curious, so you crashed all 68 remaining flights or what?

Do small movements or try finding the right settings and practice on solo which is a great way because it sets you up for finial all the time and you can go back 20 secs and can retry also look at videos online or try not landing in places with extreme winds until you get better and add the amount of crosswind in solo hope this help 👍

1 Like

Go slow right at the end, also use your AP NAV until your just about at the runway and then land the plane your self. Also don’t try and look at other views on the airplane, stay at one view. (Best for landing is the cockpit6

1 Like