Why are landings so hard!

I’d say down to minimum appr speed when you’re on the ILS. 170-180 is still too fast, should be base speed.

1 Like

Only two landing out of 70?? Can you explain which part is giving you the most trouble?

1 Like

Pitch for airspeed and use power to steady your rate of descent.

Keep the airspeed on the desired approach speed by pitching up if your airspeed goes up and pitching down when your airspeed slows.

Use the throttle along with pitch changes to keep a steady rate of descent to achieve a proper glide path while keeping the speed steady.

As you get closer to threshold use throttle for speed since pitch will now control your aim point on the runway. Approx 1/2 mile to touchdown.

Use rudder for any crosswind by using either the crab method or wing low method. The wing low method is in the crosswind tutorial.

The key to flight is to make small changes which in turn require small corrections. Keep practicing and you’ll get it

2 Likes

I suggest you take a look at some tutorials on the forum as well as practice on solo.

I have to disagree with the majority of what has been said above. Approach and landing speeds aren’t fixed values. They are set based on a number of variables.

1 Like

When you want to landing from short flying or long hauls try to decrease your speed into 250knots in 10000ft and continues to be reduced, till you reach 1000ft in 160knots with flaps 20° and spoiler change from flight to Armed and control your Phone to smooth landing

3 Likes

Here are some tutorials that may help you:

2 Likes

Take a look here:

What’s covered there also applies to GPS Approaches, but there’s no guarantee you won’t impact terrain.

1 Like

One tip I would like to advice, don’t forget to use trim to centralise your controls. Therefore when you try to flare at the last moment before touching the ground you can do it way more easily. Trim varies on different aircraft types though.

2 Likes

Short final

Other than the hackneyed repy: practice, practice, practice - the other suggestion is to find a input controller: gamepad or joystick. If tilt control isn’t working for you then an alternative means of control might help instead?

1 Like

Ahh short final. Let’s say short final is 1,000AGL. Start practicing focusing on being completely stable by this point because the key to a good landing is a a good approach. You can use APPR to intercept the localizer but once you’re on it turn off the autopilot and hand-fly it all the way down. So get the airplane it it landing configuration early so all you have to worry about is flying it down to the runway. By 1,000ft I consider myself stable if my speed is within 15-20kts of vref and I don’t have more than one or two dots of deviation on the localizer and glide slope. A final point would be to remember that the instruments get more sensitive the closer you get to the runway so make sure to stick with your small corrections that people have mentioned above. Try flying to these standards and your landings will definitely improve. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I don’t think you should base your knowledge of landings off of approach, it’s always good to be able to land your aircraft no matter what. Understanding how your aircraft flies off autopilot is important, you might want to do some turns on your own while you’re flying. Make sure you use trim to make the pressure on the yoke easier, trust me it makes a big difference. It’s important to know what the flaps do and their affect on your aircraft, a low speed is very important for landing so plan your approach carefully. Think about when you’re going to put in each flap setting and how you will be descending. Give yourself room for the approach. If you have any doubt about your alignment, speed, altitude, go around, there is never shame in going around.

1 Like

Hey there!

I always enter the ILS Cone 3500ft above runway level.

So if the runway is 500 ft above Water level I’ll try enter the cone at 4000ft.

0ft - 3500ft
500ft - 4000ft
1000ft - 4500ft.
Etc

I hope this helps you 🙂

And when you first enter the ILS Cone

Put your Altitude down to runway level and put -700vs

2 Likes

Honestly just learn how to hand fly first. It helps with everything. Practice just getting up to like FL200 in solo (20,000 FT MSL) then just fly without AP. Do some turns and try to keep the little dial at the top between 2 clicks left and right. Try maintaining a certain V speed, then, when your down on final, just do the same thing. Tutorials will help

2 Likes

Don’t be afraid to Ryanair.

1 Like

Speed plays a big factor when landing

1 Like

With all due respect, that’s disturbing. I’d say watch Tutorials on the forums.

1 Like

Just use APPR to line up, then flare.
Essentially, when you get cleared for approach, turn on APPR if you have it, then let it guide you in. But manage your speed, (the 737 is about 150). Turn off approach and flare, but there is a possibility you will glide. Or let APPR flare for you, but the landing is a little harder. You could also check out:

Or landing tutorials: Here

2 Likes

Only reason you should be doing 150 on approach in a 737 is if you are really heavy. I use 135.

4 Likes

Same as real life, landings need practise, you need to make sure you get everything down.

1 Like