Why are airplane toilets so noisy?

That’s pretty much all I’m asking…

Trying to get @Mats_Edvin_Aaro attention be like.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Some of them use the outside air pressure to flush. Also, not all of them are noisy.

2 Likes

Mainly because it’s not using water to flush, it’s using a vacuum like system that uses a lot of pressure to suck the waste into a tank

4 Likes

Ahhh interesting, some are rather noisy.

1 Like

I’m curious if the Etihad apartment restrooms are as noisy as a standard one.

They’re noisy cos due to the high pressure of air when you’re at FL360 is so big that water wouldn’t have the power to flush so they use unbelievably pressurised air to push it down.

2 Likes

Not all of them are, but if you do come across a noisy one it’s probably because it’s using a vacuum system to take the waste and vacuum seal it in a compartment near the back of the plane. This video by the Smithsonian Channel explains it really well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rJvXXYBSSk

1 Like

To drown out the noise of people farting while they’re on the pan. Let’s face it the rest of the passengers don’t need to hear you grunting and parping while you’re in the lav.

😀

4 Likes

There is a part in this video (I don’t know the time for when it shows up on screen)

1 Like

Here’s a video of how they work

4 Likes

That’s a strange way to get my attention…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.