Who do you think should get paid more? A pilot, an aircraft mechanic, or an aviation engineer?

They are all connected and get paid well and love what they do. The pilot relays the issue during flight to the mechanics and once the aircraft lands its dealt with quick. And aviation engineering is complex in my opinion and an engineer works more hours than a mechanic but get paid less and finally a pilot gets paid the most I think.

I’m interested in knowing what ur guys and gals take on this subject

1 Like

You*
aeronautical engineer*

2 Likes

The pilot most likely gets paid the most depending on certain factors and when u say aviation engineer, do u mean like a flight engineer which are like non existant now or like aviation engineer as a mechanic

1 Like

Engineer(what type though)
Pilot
Mechanic

Pilot, they fly the machine, they should get paid the most

7 Likes

Their dealing with anywhere from 50-300 souls at a time, without a doubt they should get paid the most

8 Likes

For a pilot it depends on the aircraft e.g “a380 pilots get paid Moreno than 747 and 747 pilots get paid more than 737 pilots”

Pilot only gets paid once the door closes/parking brake off same as the rest of the flight crew.

4 Likes

It doesn’t matter how much it pays,

If it’s something you love, it shouldn’t matter.

3 Likes

Guys aviation engineer could mean flight or aeronautical enigineering in my opinion with all do respect

The three jobs have unrelated responsibilities. The pilot’s role is executing the aircraft operation. The mechanic maintains the hardware. The aviation engineer designs and implements the hardware. They could all be paid the same. Bottom line, take a look at investigations of the past. The pilot has final responsibility. Mechanical failure? The pilot has to manage it. Design fault? The pilot has to manage it. Operating the aircraft in a safe manner with souls on board? the pilot has to manage it. When lives are on the line it’s the pilot in command that has the controls. Pay the pilot more.

1 Like

Or get two birds with a one stone. U enjoy it and it pays that’s how it’s like In Abu Dhabi and Dubai …( no tax and free rent or rather say it’s paid buy the sector that u work for in aviation one last thing $1dollar = 3.5 dirhams…

Well said… but us mechanics don’t make pilot error and make better engineers and better pilots cause cause we know the aircraft better than the pilot and the engineer and if a doctor make a mistake one person dies but if I once I finish the FAA-AMT license technical program…GOD forbid make a mistake or any other mechanic… a minimum of a lot of people will die. Finally we all know aviation is the safest form of transportation.

1 Like

Not intending to discount anyone’s role in the big picture, I see your perspective and agree. The mechanics most likely do make better engineers and better pilots because they know the aircraft better than the pilot and the engineer. My point is, when the chips are down, the mechanic isn’t flying the souls on board. The pilot is. In a perfect world? Pay all three of them eight figures a year, I have no argument with that :-) We may struggle to afford the tickets.

1 Like

Most definitely the aeronautical engineer. What’s the point of being a pilot or mechanic if there aren’t any planes to fly or work on in the first place? Yes, pilots have lots of responsibility, but so do the engineers and mechanics. All in all, it should be who puts in more time and effort.

Yes it’s a combination of electrical and mechanical engineering… right?

1 Like

Imagine ur self ina fuel tank in the wing of 787 with a oxygen mask on and it’s dark and u only have a flash light
And the fumes in there are deadly while the other mechanic that’s watching ur breathing oxygen tank level just blank out and walk away for lunch with out informing u or wait till u come out then the grease monkey that’s in the wing realizes that he is smelling jet fuel hundred low lead color blue…and dies.

Double shifts upon graduation for five years then 35 more which makes 40years in aviation on that I get the master mechanic badge. The first master aircraft mechanic badge was given to whatever his name is because I forgot who built the engine for the wright brothers airplane for the first flight I guess.

Great question. I can answer that with 2 questions:

1. What is the supply and demand for pilots, mechanics and engineers?
  2. How replaceable are the pilots, mechanics, and engineers?

From an economics perspective, if supply and demand are identical for all of these groups, a senior pilot and experienced engineer would be worth the most, then a tie between junior pilots, new engineers, and experienced mechanics, new mechanics round out the bottom of the list.

You might be asking, how do you determine replaceability? In laymen’s terms, it is the questions of “how much would it cost for us to pluck a guy off the street and get him/her to the standard of the guy we’re replacing”. A junior mechanic is relatively cheap to hire but to gain experience in a workshop and aviation setting would require an investment that costs close to an ATPL or a Bachelors in engineering. Senior pilots and experienced engineers are only available through years of experience and is very difficult to replace, this is why airlines are paying senior captains over $300 per hour of flying and large firms paying grizzled consulting engineers $500 per hour to solve their problems.

6 Likes

Umm…okay? I’m not really sure what you’re trying to say here.